Chris Byrne on Mon, 23 Aug 1999 11:01:27 +0100

Syndicate: Fwd: Victims of Geography

From: "Doug A" <heroes@cqm.co.uk>
To: <chris@cryptic.demon.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 17 Aug 1999 15:52:04 +0100

Edinburgh launch of Victim of Geography:
A film about real beautiful creatures that survived 2 wars, funding set backs and censorship here at home.

Apologise for not personalizing this dispatch but my respect and dedications go out to you all.

Following is a press release for an event and screening that we have put together on Wednesday 25th August, at Club Eden on Picardy Place: A day and night on a renegade frequency.

Having spent the last 5 years making Victim of Geography, we took the decision to make this event happen despite the efforts of certain people (who should no better!)  preventing a Scottish audience seeing one of the nations first all digital features.
I hope you can support us in our decision to stage this event and come along to either the afternoon screening (3:00) or the evening event (Kicking off around 9:00)  that we have planned.
It'll be the best party in Old Reekie that night and what's more you don't need to wear a suit!
The bar will be open through out the screening and you might even be able to persuade us to buy you a drink!

The event will also be an opportunity to highlight the on-going struggle of the independent Belgrade radio station B92 against both the regime in Serbia and NATO's on-going war of attrition against the ordinary people of that country (Since when have sanctions harmed politicians and violent thugs as the current wave of ' vengence cleansing' in Kosovo is proving)
If  you are concerned that the event and the film might seem 'pro serb' then let me make one thing clear:
Our stance both in the film and in organizing this event is both anti the oppressive regime in Belgrade and anti the bombing back into the middle ages of a nation at the very heart of Europe.
B92 as a ' voice of reason' represents something that we all risk losing sight of here from the vantage point of our safe european homes: Our independence as film makers, artists or whatever and the spirit of craziness and unpredictability that makes something generally exciting and vibrant happen against the flow of a dumbed-down 'mainstream'.

We hope you can come along and support an event that has been motivated solely by a positive desire to reaffirm both this spirit of independence and at the same time celebrate the fact that real creativity will always be difficult, cross borders and break the rules.
It'll also be a great chance to have a dance as well as watch a movie!

Look forward to seeing you on the 25th

LOUDER THAN BOMBS!

Doug Aubrey

For ticket information and reservations either e-mail me or contact Louise at Firehorse: 0141 400 2951

Please feel free to forward this information to anyone you think might be interested.

PRESS RELEASE

Ref:VoG/1

&lsqu;0VICTIM OF GEOGRAPHY&rsqu;0 - FILM LAUNCH AND CLUB EVENT

The exclusive preview of Scotland&rsqu;0s first all Digital feature-film
&lsqu;0Victim of Geography&rsqu;0 will be screened on 25 August 1999 at a film-
meets-dance event beginning at 09.00pm in new nightclub Eden, at 14
Picardy Place, Edinburgh.

Pictorial Heroes, the film makers, spent five years making this European
feature film and the launch will be complimented by a Scotland v Serbia
DJ match between Slam&rsqu;0s Stuart McMillan and Gordon Paunovic of
Belgrade&rsqu;0s banned radio station B92.

This event forms the first stop in a European tour of alternative
venues. The decision to show the film in this way and in the locations
intended is an acknowledgment to the sampling/techno and urban cultures
which have influenced it.

The film received support from Channel 4 Television, The Scottish Arts
Council Lottery Film Fund and Glasgow Film Office.

Part  Road movie, part documentary travelogue, Victim of Geography is a
film about real people. They tell their stories, full of dark humour and
touching encounters, to the camcorder, in a way that entertains,
challenges and shocks.

Stylish, contemporary images and soundtrack, coupled with the buzz of
learning new things about places you&rsqu;0ve never been and the lives of
people you&rsqu;0ve never seen, result in a sometimes sad, often funny,
sensory experience for the viewer.

The story being told in this film is a narrative about the moment, that
will be found in the montage of images, music, conflicting passions,
voices, vices and quiet moments. It sets out to capture a pre-millennial
sense of time and place - a realistic portrait of the Europe that we all
live in.

The film has developed out of an approach to film making that embraces
the potential of the camcorder and new technology, which in turn,
enabled the film makers to adopt a hit-and-run strategy to tell their
story. It has no formal script.

As the film&rsqu;0s director Doug Aubrey says &ldqu;0Why write about it when you can
shoot it? Why talk or act out life on the street when you can actually
capture it happen in ways that conventional drama never will.

&ldqu;0We gained contributions from all manner of people in this film. From
strippers and hookers to hackers and slackers. From mercenaries to
missionaries via football fans and Anti-FA activists. Pirate radio
stations, dancehall DJ&rsqu;0s, ranters, ravers, artists thataren&rsqu;0t so arty.
Writers poets, travellers, squatters, survivors, junkies, nomads,
migrants, youth tribes, gangs, bands, the lost, sad, mad and bad from
the streets of Europe&rdqu;0.

For further information, photographs, interviews, preview samplers,
contact Louise Prendergast, <http://www.urbanvibes.co.uk/firehorse>www.urbanvibes.co.uk/firehorse