Zarana Papic on Tue, 05 Oct 1999 03:30:25 +0200

Syndicate: [Fwd: women in black: if you want peace, prepare pea

                                WOMEN IN BLACK AGAINST WAR
                                   Eight International Meeting
            "Network of Women's Solidarity Against War"
                                           Ulcinj, Montenegro
                                           7-10 October 1999

                 IF YOU WANT PEACE - PREPARE PEACE

 If we look back at the year behind us, we the anti-war activists
see that regimes, miliataries and international forces have
strengthen fascism on Balkans.  We  lived through ethnic
cleansing and bombing at the same time.  It was painful.  And still
it is difficult. First of all there are less of us now then the last
year.
 Not all the dead are counted. More women are raped.   Hatred and
silent forgetting of the Other is permenently  increasing.
Nationalism continues to produce ideology of victim.  Fascism and
nationalism  have brought poverty and misery.   There are new
contradictions among pacifists:  can we get to peace with
bombs and war?   Global militarism has  made bigger profit.
European left will never be the same.  Kosovo as well.  At least.
And, women in peace  negotiations are still missing.

This year Women in Black are gathering for the first time in
Montenegro.  We have chosen to meet, exchange our thoughts,
feelings and common actions right here  for different reasons:
first, because this is a place on which it is possible that activists
from all divided regions of the country that is still called FR
Yugoslavia can  meet:   Kosovo, Vojvodina, Serbia, Sandzak,
Montengro.  Second,  this is one of the regions in which foreign
people with passports can come in, without visas.  Third, city of
Ulcinj is on the Adriatic coast - we believe that we need beauty of
Mediterranean nature and joy of different cultures and languages
we can find there.

Programm

Thursday 7, October
arrival of participants
dinner with few joyful words

Friday  8, October

morning

 panel: ETHNIC CLEANSING - NATO INTERVENTION
   "Increasing militarism -  global and local"

themes:
    - fascism of Serbian regime - ethnic cleansing on Kosovo
    - global and local militarisation:  of institutions,
consciousness, everyday life
    - UN/NATO/European community:  trap of human rights
    - pacifist feminist ethics:  collective responsibility -
individual guilt

afternoon

working groups

1.      Militarisation of consciousness and social relations:  hatred
against Other
2.      Searching for the pacifist feminist ethics:  Collective
responsibility -
Individual guilt - Solidarity
3.      Obtaining peace with war? Contraversies in the peace
movement
4.      Was my situation the worst? - We care for ourselves and
others at the same time

dinner
video:  Women in Black, documentary from "97

Saturday 9 October

morning
panel exchange
 RESISTANCE TO WAR - EXPERIENCE OF WOMEN
 .... and pie and performance in front of the Ministry and
music and making obstacles to military bases and text and peace
march and telephoning a friend on the other side and Marina
Tzvetajeva and demonstration and e-mail message and cruising
on the market and angryness...

 We invite participants to prepare 5 minutes in which they will
inform us how they resist -individually or collectivelly- war, sexism,
militarism, nationalism in the last year.  Translation is
simultaneous.

afternoon

EIGHT YEARS OF WOMEN IN BLACK - vigils in Podgorica.
Podgorica is the capital of Montenegro, on 2 hours bus ride from
Ulcinj.  Bring black clothes.

evening

dinner, party
bring dancing music on cassettess

Sunday 10 October

morning

panel
CREATING PEACE - WHAT TO DO TOGETHER
education for peace, campaigns, political
analysis, support, e-mail exchange

lunch for goodbye and embraces

The foreign participants can come to Ulcinj from different sides:
Bar-Bari,
ferryboat from Italy,  by the road from Dubrovnik, Croatia and by the
road
 from Sarajevo, Bosnia.   The full price of a day cost 40DM.  We
suggest
that those who can, pay 50DM and the rest of the money will be
used for
immediate collective expenses (bus, etc).

Happy to see you there.

Women in Black Belgrade
 stasazen@eunet.yu
Women in Black Spain: