Inke Arns on Wed, 27 Oct 1999 15:32:38 +0200

Syndicate: research about Manifesta 3

Subject: BOUNCE syndicate: Non-member submission from ["Ursa Jurman"
<jurman@soros.si>]
Date: Wed, 27 Oct 1999 15:20:30 +0000
Subject: research about Manifesta 3

SCCA-LJUBLJANA PRESENTS RESEARCH
"MANIFESTA IN OUR BACKYARD"

The research is taking place within the SCCA Network programe:
"Research & Education in Contemporary Art in the Region" and is not
a part of a Manifesta 3.

In the year 2000 the third Manifesta ( a European biannual event
for contemporary fine arts) will be hosted in Ljubljana.
Within research Manifesta 3 will serve as an example of a large event
of contemporary art which will enable us to study the operations of a
contemporary art system as defined by the West, market
mechanisms and the prevalent (postmodernist) ideology.

Within this research we will pay special attention to the following:
- analysing the Manifesta 3 self-image.
We will pay special attention to the concept of the Manifesta 3 -
"Borderline Syndrom and Energies of Defence" (the question of
protection from political, economic and cultural homogenisation). We
will also pay attention to any contradictions that might occur -
contradictions between the beginning intentions and goals of
Manifesta and especialy Manfesta 3 and its realisations: exhibition,
as well as any accompanying events that might occur.
 - Analysing works of art.
At large art exhibitions this is normally forgotten about, for due to
the large number of works of art detailed analysis is very rare. By
analitically studying selected works of art, exhibited within the
Manifesta 3 frame we would like to overcome that gap.
- Studyig the influence of Manifesta 3 upon the local art
scene. By interviewing the protagonists of contemporary art in the
Slovenia region (curators, gallery managers, artists, critics) we
will gather their expectations and experience related to the hosting
of Manifesta 3 in Ljubljana: how they are involved in (if at all); in
their opinion, does the event influence the local art scene (if yes -
how); what can the event offer them and what are their expectations,

Gathered and processed material will be published at the end of the
research (by the end of the year 2000).

If you are interested for more informations or you are involved in a
similar project, please contact us:

Contact person: Ursa Jurman (research
co-ordinator)
Phone/fax: 0038 61126 21 92
SCCA-Ljubljana, Vegova 8, 1000 Ljubljana, Slovenia