Andreas Broeckmann on Tue, 2 Nov 1999 16:04:53 +0200

Syndicate: Post-Ulu, Singapor

From: drool2k@hotmail.com

Dear Friends,

The Artists Village is organising 'Post-Ulu' a  year end show at The
Substation. In one of the  activities of this event, participating artists
will attempt to complete  2000 pieces of drawings. This is not to
commemorate the coming new millenium, but to  ask ourselve what the 'new
millenium' means to us. some chose to ignore it,  and some choose to
celebrate over it. In  Post-Ulu, we have decided to create over it.   By
drawing, what we meant here is to make visual  markings, as a record and
testimonial of time, reflecting on individual's creative intention or
concern and exploring  one's idea through the process of drawing. After the
completion of the last of  the 2000 Drawings, they will be compiled as a
collective effort from many  individuals and will be shown in future art
exhibitions that will be organised  to follow up with 'Post-Ulu'. We hope
to explore more with creative processes by  embarking on ideas from the
2000 Drawings, in doing so, produce object-based and  time-based works from
it.       as co-ordinator of this 2000 Drawings project, i  am inviting you
to join us by taking part in  'Post-Ulu'.

We will be at The Substation's Gallery starting  >from 28th Dec to put the
2000 Drawings project into action. This project may take two to three
working days to be  completed, so by 1st Jan 2000, the last drawing should
be completed. You may  like to take part by visiting 'Post-Ulu', we will be
opened from 10am to 10pm  daily in the gallery. You can come with a
finished drawing or come empty handed  with the intention to create. There
will be materials provided for you or you  can bring your own medium to
use.  Alternatively,  if you cannot be present on either one of these days
during this project, you  can send your drawings from 1st Dec to 30th  Dec
1999 .

please send your drawings together with your full name and contact  address
to:

Attn:  Kai,
The Artists Village, "Post-Ulu".
The Substation
45, Armenian Street.
Singapore  179936
Tel: 3377  535
or fax: (65) 244 3530

There is no fixed criteria for sending your  drawings, it can be of any
shapes and sizes, made with any materials, and  express every intention you
want to. If you can send it, we will accept it.     One thing, all
submitted drawings will be  non-returnable, but we will acknowledge your
participation when exhibiting the  drawing project in future shows. Funds
will be raised to document this work and  send to participants as a token
for participating in this project. (so make sure  your address comes with
your drawing/s).              A quote from an experienced artist who have
done  this before, in "The Drawing Show" in the past during Dec 1989,  "He
or she may use it maybe as a means of exploring  their ideas and concepts,
or a response to the visual imagery and events around  him or he may be
exploring the potential qualities of materials used for that  drawing
.Drawing then is an important vehicle for recording and investigating in
the artist's own visual langauge".   in regards, kai
---

    *programme of 'Post-Ulu' for your  reference.

Post-Ulu: a year end show organised by the Artists Village at The
Substation,  Singapore.

The Artists Village have been around  for ten years and have always been
defined by architecture, in the sense that it  was always about the
physical place where artists are able to produce works. But  often we are
asked what have we got now that the physical working space of  The Village
is gone. What is our direction in terms of working as  artists in the
contemporary society of Singapore? We have thus decided to  collaborate in
a process work among the current members by turning The  Substations
Gallery into a working studio for three weeks. This short  time span of
dwelling place can spark off a series of action\project based work  that
the public can interact with and also proceed with some more future
projects.

The title 'Post-Ulu" is a departure point from the  original Artists
Village at Lorong Gambas, Jalan Ulu Sembawang in relation to  the function
of the present group. Ulu in Malay definition means seclusion or an
isolated place.
So as the title suggests an 'after-isolation' period, it is  vital for the
present group to identify it's function as an art group. In this  show, the
function of Artists Village is questioned by the methodology of  artists
negotiating
spaces and artists' idealogies of functioning in  Singapore's social
context. It is not a comparison of past-present, but the past  is being
integrated as a reference to the current situation of the group. In
Post-Ulu we hope to define some issues that have surfaced over the  past
years: what is the fuction of The Artists Village as an art society and
Contemporary art practices in Singapore.

"Post-Ulu" will open  on 28th Dec 1999 to 16th Jan 2000.

The artists involved with organising  the events of "Post-Ulu" will be
Jeremy Hiah, Dennis Tan, Tien Wei  Woon, Lina Adam,
Green Zeng and Lam Hoi Lit.

Dennis Tan and Lam Hoi  Lit will be the spokespersons for The Artists
Village in regards to press  matters.

The organisational work will be distributed among the artists  and it will
cover these events:

1) Gallery turn Studio  space:
coordinated by Lam Hoi Lit. (pg no. 9509 4985, fax/tel: 244  3530)

Participating artists will meet constantly prior to the show to  discuss
individual ideas and make possible collaborations that will be presented
in The Substation's gallery. The skeleton of the show, the gallery will  be
converted to a work-in-process studio space where artists will be able to
go into this space to work constantly for a period of 3 weeks. There will
be a  drawing workshop/collaboration by a few artists and the public to do
2000
pieces of drawings to anticipate the new milleinium. this drawing
collaboration will eventually develop into object-based and eventually
time-based works. The purpose of this method is not to exhibit end-products
but  to create a continuation of individuals' processes with the reminder
that this  show is a departure point to future projects. Among Artists
Village members  there will be a collective effort to present a
collaborative video work at The  Singapore Art
Museum for Nokia Art 99. This will take place for one day  only.

2) Collaboration with the White Cane Society of  Singapore:
organised by Green Zeng (pg no:9234 5104) and Chng Seok Tin  (tel no:742 5955)

Artists and the members of the White Cane Society will  collaborate in a
workshop of making paper boats. This will take place during two  weekend
afternoons at the classroom and Gallery/Studio. After which the last
weekend will see the group proceed to an outdoor event where the paper
boats  will be released into a river, the location of

this event will be confirmed later with more meetings with the White Cane
Society.

3) Informal dialogues\ seminar:
coordinated by Dennis  Tan. (Hp no. 9622 6170)

The Artist Village will be organising an informal  dialogues that will take
place in the classrooms of The Substation. It will  preferbly held in the
evening and kept in a small , unitimidating size. We will  touch on
specific art discourse that are relevant to art practice in Singapore.
here is a list of the speakers that will be involved.

Koh Nguang How /art  researcher
on The Artists Village and Art Practice in Singapore.