Andreas Broeckmann on Tue, 21 Dec 1999 09:37:46 +0200

Syndicate: Call - Cesta's fifth international festival, August 2000

From: "cesta" <cesta@mbox.vol.cz>
Date: Mon, 20 Dec 1999 19:58:10 +0100

                       Long Ago and Far Ahead

               Fusions of Tradition and Unconvention

An Arts Festival of Cross-national Interdisciplinary Collaborations

Cultural Exchange Station in Tábor (CESTA), Czech republic
August 24-28, 2000

Amidst the relentless struggles for cultural identity and autonomy,
we see movements emerging to both isolate and usurp elements of
 regional difference. The danger shared by protectionism and
globalization is intolerance. A true commitment to developing
inherent communication, understanding and tolerance can only be
realized through critical dialogue and recognition of our histories
and our futures.
For Long Ago and Far Ahead, artists will follow the threads
binding tradition and unconvention - exploring what histories and
futures share in defining difference. By employing a determination
not to dismiss pasts nor resist futures, they will map the
possibilities of cultural connections not rooted in homogeny or
hegemony. Towards bridging the gaps of generations, they will
experiment with inventing metaphors that speak for both memory
and imagination.

Amongst many other questions, we ask:
What role does invention play in traditional and native art?
How can experimental art admit its roots and still invent?
What common languages can or do pasts and futures use?

CESTA's festival parameters of cross-national interdisciplinary
collaborations represent the center's commitment to improving
communication through creative expression. We base our selection
 of artists on a review of applications resulting from our annual open
 call. Applicants request CESTA to connect them with
collaboration  partners or apply as a pre-formed collaboration
group. For Long  Ago and Far Ahead, all final festival
collaboration groups must  contain:

1) a. Artists working with traditional, indigenous, or native art forms
			AND
     b. Artists working with unorthodox, unconventional, or avant-
garde art forms
2) more than one artistic medium
3) more than one nationality
4) work created exclusively for Long Ago and Far Ahead
5) artists with experience in artistic collaboration

For an Open Call application form, please respond to this email as
soon as possible. Feel free to forward this message to all who may
 be interested.

the CESTA staff

CESTA
Novakova 387, Tabor 39001, Czech Republic
tel: +420-361-258-004
email: cesta@mbox.vol.cz
http://www.cesta.cz