Christina McPhee on Sat, 4 Mar 2006 00:08:37 +0100 (CET)

<nettime-ann> [ann] March on -empyre- : Is Modernity our Antiquity?

.

March 2006  on -empyre-  soft-skinned space:

Is Modernity our Antiquity?  (for  the Documenta 12 Magazine Project)

Please join the conversation this month at www.subtle.net/empyre,
with special guests

Christoph Bruno (FR), Erik Kluitenberg (NL), Christiane Paul (US),
Dirk Vekemans (BE), and as moderator/guest, Christina McPhee (US)

Is Modernity our Antiquity?

It is fairly obvious that modernity, or modernity's fate, exerts a
profound influence on contemporary artists. Part of that attraction
may stem from the fact that no one really knows if modernity is dead
or alive. It seems to be in ruins after the totalitarian catastrophes

of the 20th century (the very same catastrophes to which it somehow
gave rise). It seems utterly compromised by the brutally partial
application of its universal demands (liberte, egalite,
fraternite)
or by the simple fact that modernity and coloniality went, and
probably still go, hand in hand. Still, people's imaginations are
full of modernity's visions and forms (and I mean not only Bauhaus
but also arch-modernist mind-sets transformed into contemporary
catchwords like "identity" or "culture"). In short, it seems
that we
are both outside and inside modernity, both repelled by its deadly
violence and seduced by its most immodest aspiration or potential:
that there might, after all, be a common planetary horizon for all
the living and the dead.

--Roger Beurgel, artistic director of Documenta 12

A bit of background:

Documenta, the festival of art that occurs every five years in
Kassel, has invited all of us at the -empyre- list to participate in
a formal discussion around
three questions, or leitmotifs,  throughout this year.  This month is

the launch of our participation in this project, which will continue
in July and November 2006, again with topics selected by the
Documenta team.   All over the world, some seventy online and print
journals will initiate dialogue around three core questions; the
results will integrate into Documenta 12 itself next year in Kassel
(summer 2007).   FMI  http://www.documenta12.de/documenta12/english/
leitmotifs.html  A special thanks to Alessandro Ludovico of http://
neural.it. Alessandro is an empyre list member and former featured
guest (2003), who has honored us by  bringing -empyre- into the
Documenta project this year.

join us at http://www.subtle.net/empyre