Geert Lovink on Tue, 28 Apr 2009 07:43:31 +0200 (CEST)

<nettime-ann> Krisis magazine: special issue on Science & Technology Studies

.
For all to read and download, the new issue of Krisis is online! What’s more, an increasing number of back issues can be read and downloaded on the site. Just look under ‘issues’.

The entire archive of Krisis will be online soon on http;//www.krisis.eu

We begin 2009 with a special issue on Science & Technology Studies (STS) and the arts, edited by Ruth Benschop. The relation between art and philosophy has always been special. Not least because both claime a special status, as a practice or idea that would express what is highest or most laudable. In this issue, Krisis again highlights the relation between philosophy and art, and considers in what light art would appear from the perspective of STS. Starting from the idea that science, philosophy, and art are all in a way ‘shops’ that one ‘runs’, in four contributions, four different art practices are studied. They consider a wide variety of issues: How can the organ sound of centuries ago be restored? How can virtual artworks be saved from oblivion? How can one ‘expose’ sound in a museum setting? And in what sense is the ‘authenticity’ of old works of art a function of contemporary practices of knowledge production? As a ‘bonus’, this thematic section is followed by a reflection on the status of artistic research as a form of science, or philosophy.

Next to the special issue, Koen Beumer gives an overview of the various ways in which humans have related to rats and rats have related to humans throughout the twentieth century. By using a wide variety of sources, he explores the different dimensions of these relationships.

Of course, the current issue also includes reviews of Dutch and non- Dutch books. We have a review by Gijs van Oenen on Politieke stukken. Een pleidooi voor kosmopolitisme (Lolle Nauta). Theo de Wit looks at Marc de Wilde’s book, Verwantschap in extremen, on Schmitt and Benjamin. Topkitsch & Slow Science (René Boomkens) is reviewed by Christophe Andrades. Guus Dix takes on Foucault’s newly published work The Birth of Biopolitics. Finally, Ton Groeneweg discusses Political Theologies (Hent de Vries, ed.).

On 10 April, Krisis exuberantly celebrated its digitalization with a night of presentations on the theme of book burning. Afterwards, the celebrations continued until well after midnight. Rumour has it, some philosophers were actually dancing! The presentations were all very stimulating, so we are glad to say that they will all be published in the next issue.

Last but not least, a small note from the editors:

Krisis aims to be completely accessible to everyone who is interested. All contributions are freely available. Although we are committed to low-budget publication, we still need money to keep this journal running. In particular, we appreciate working with a fairly-paid editorial assistant and a professional copy editor in order to guarantee the quality of Krisis. The board of editors does not get compensated. In order to keep the reading of this journal free of charge, we would appreciate your support, either by donation or by advertisement.

Link Ideal:
http://krisis.eu/#htmlpart=content/sponsors_nl.htmlpart

You can also donate to:
Krisis, Bank account 5172630, Postbank/ING, Amsterdam