norman mcdonald on 9 Feb 2001 16:16:34 -0000

[Nettime-bold] cultural history

Painted woodcut from Boner's Der Edelstein, Bamberg,
1461
About actual size [5.75 x 4 in., 14.6 x 10 cm.]. This
book is the earliest known that is both printed from
type and illustrated with printed pictures. The
woodblocks were impressed by hand in blanks left for
the purpose in the printed text -- much as though they
had been rubber stamps. (Reproduced from the facsimile
of the unique copy, isssued by the Graphische
Gesellschaft in Berlin in 1908.)

the above caption is from William M. Ivins, Jr.'s book
"prints and visual communication." i submit this and
the attached .gif, because it doesn't seem like we're
all on the same page  in terms of what we think of as
culture, history, etc. not that reading the same texts
will lead to identical thoughts. reading the same
texts is about as reliable as a game of telephone. how
do we get on the same page? action. i have some very
specific, pretty constructive thoughts on the subject
of "technology and what must be done." they derive
from others' acts and texts, as well as my own
survival within the empire's loosely connected
villages. but the image may be enuf to whet your
appetites.

normanic