Alberto Gaitan on 18 Feb 2001 21:29:48 -0000

[Nettime-bold] Re: <nettime> Usenet archives sold?

-:=====  On 17 Feb 2001, Sam Kritikos wrote:  =====:-
> > [1] http://www.databasedata.org/hr1858/hr1858.html
>
> Alberto, what is the legal status of databasedata.org ...
> Is this an industry supported organization or an individual project?

It is a broad-based coalition of industry, educational, and NGOs
operating. The Database Coalition mission statement [1] lists their
primary goals as:

"We support Federal legislation that will not harm legitimate
research activities and small businesses, but will -

"  - prevent unfair competition in the form of parasitic copying;

"  - preserve the fair use of information;

"  - promote the progress of science, education and research;

"  - protect value-added publishers and their customers; and

"  - provide safeguards against monopolistic pricing."

It seems to have been in operation for about three years.

Hope this helps,

Alberto

[1] http://www.databasedata.org/Statement/statement.html