napier on Tue, 30 Apr 2002 22:53:02 +0200 (CEST)

[Nettime-bold] RE: RHIZOME_RAW: GENERATION FLASH: Usability/Interaction

At 01:01 PM 4/30/2002 -0400, John Klima wrote:
>so what do we
>discuss? how "well" the interface works? what the user wants to "do?" in
>peasoup and glasbead there is user goal, make a picture, make a song, so
>we presented them with "tools" to do so. they are usable. what would a
>completely abstract interface "do?"

First, I think of p-Soup as a completely abstract interface.  The piece is
built on very simple geometry and synthesized notes, so it certainly isn't
representing anything.  The user creates a composition and music by
interacting with the piece, but it isn't a tool because there is no end
goal.  In p-Soup the end is the interaction itself.  The interface is part
of that end, not a tool to create something else (you never save a song ...
when you stop clicking the piece stops playing).

So let's discuss it.  From the usability perspective the p-Soup
(http://potatoland.org/p-soup) interface is about as usable as it can
get.  Click on an icon at the top, click in the blue box, you see a
ripple.  I've never seen a person that can't operate it, and I'm willing to
accept that there may be techno-phobes out there that won't explore the
piece.  My audience is anybody with a basic knowledge of the mouse/computer
interface, and these people will be able to activate the piece easily.

Now for the interaction aspect.  I agree with Kanarinka that interaction is
separate from usability.  In p-Soup I don't explain the piece.  If a user
clicks once they get one animated ripple on the screen.  Not too
exciting.  The piece is only interesting if they click multiple times, and
then the ripples combine and overlap to create secondary shapes.  This
usually comes as a surprise to people using it (came as a surprise to me
when I made the piece).  So then they start to click quickly, slowly, close
together, far apart.  They can focus on the visuals and/or on the sounds.

None of this is about usability.  The user has already figured out how to
use the interface.  Now we're talking about interaction.  This is the "why"
of the piece, where usability is the "how".  The user has gotten in to the
piece, now why should they stay.  The visual language of the artwork
provides enough material to explore for a while simply out of the fun of
seeing what the shapes do and how they react to each other.  There's a
satisfaction for me in seeing a very simple vocabulary combine to create a
surprising variety of qualities (sort of like programming).  The user gets
to create something within the boundaries of the artwork.

The work provides an immediate response.  The user gets that they just did
something. But then the artwork does something of its own as well, that is
not predictable.  There is an element of expectation, fulfillment of the
expectation, but then an element of surprise.  The user can explore the
subtler qualities of the piece by refining their use of the artwork.  So
there is an element of layering; the interaction has depth.  There's an
element of duration: the action continues to animate for about a minute or
two.  The user can stop and watch to see what they just did and let the
piece run and fade out on its own.

All of this amounts to a dialog between the user and the artwork.  But
there is another element to the interactivity of the artwork, which is that
the piece is multi-user.  The applet is built on top of a chat client, so
it networks multiple users together in real time.  Concurrent users see
what each other are doing.  I don't explain this anywhere in the piece,
which could be seen as user-unfriendly.  But in terms of interactivity it
creates an interesting possibility in the work.  While a user is clicking
away, playing with the artwork, they may see other shapes forming in the
piece, shapes that they did not create.  Then they have to figure out for
themselves how those shapes are happening.  Are they random?  Are they
generated by some algorithm?  Or are they created by another user online,
playing with the artwork at the same time.  This moment of meeting of two
people in the space of the artwork always comes as a surprise, even to
me.  Immediately people try to find a way to respond to the other user, as
if to show that they exist in the work too.  When the group of concurrent
users is large enough somebody usually takes over and clicks a hundred
times in one spot, as if to dominate the space or bring order to the noise.

I don't announce the multi-user nature of the piece, and I'm still not sure
if I should.  That's an aspect of interactivity.  Should the user expect
this feature of the piece, or be surprised by it? I ruled out that people
can talk to each other (using a text chat interface alongside the graphical
window) because I wanted visitors to use the visual language and try to
find a way to "talk" without words.

I'm just throwing out ideas here, about what aspects of this work matter to
me.  There are many questions that interaction brings up, even in an
abstract piece.  How much noise should be allowed?  How many options are
there in the piece?  Should the visual language (of a piece like p-soup)
contain many elements or very few.  Should all the features of the piece be
visible up front or should some be hidden?  Is the piece about creating
something using a plainly visible interface, or about exploring a
deliberately obscured interface.

BTW I think the same way when I look at a site like http://www.turux.org,
that I think would qualify as completely abstract interfaces.  The pieces
create expectations and then fulfill some of them, but contradict
others.  Sometimes I'm in total control of the piece, sometimes it seems to
do something on it's own that is only partly in response to my actions.  I
like that level of depth.  It intrigues me and then I want to explore the
piece more, to figure it out, or simply to find what I can get it to do.

In all of these works there is an element of authority.  Who is in control
of the piece?  Is it the user, the artist, perhaps multiple users.  Or some
combination of these three.  In the static art object this is not an issue,
except in the very rare case that somebody splatters blood on a painting.

mark

napier@potatoland.org