Maxim Pouska on Thu, 27 Sep 2001 11:13:24 +0200 (CEST)

<nettime> HOW CAN YOU MAKE ART THIS WAY?

  [orig also To: aplohman@fondation-langlois.org, electrik_bg@egroups.com,
   editor@fineartforum.org, stella@artistsireland.com, nice@x-i.net,
   list@rhizome.org, reader-list@sarai.net, spectre@mikrolisten.de,
   universes-arts@kbx.de, webartery@yahoogroups.com, x-change@re-lab.net]

HOW CAN YOU MAKE ART THIS WAY?

Today, at the end of September 2001 I down loaded the “Call for projects
2002: The Daniel Langlois Foundation“. I know the work by Daniel and know
that he is a very generous man. Back in 1990 I exhibited the work “Tony de
Peltrie” - by Daniel and his team - at my gallery in Munich. Curators for
the show were Hervé Fischer and Ginette Mayor.

I know also the style and the ways how you have to ask - begging- for grants
in Canada. But I asked myself all the time as I worked together with Jacques
Charbonneau, Hervé Fischer and Ginette Major is this a real way for an
artist to work?

I looked today at the “PROGRAM GUIDE FOR INDIVIDUALS” and calculated from
now to the day you can start to work at your “artwork” you have to wait
seven to nine months.

Hervé speaks some German and he likes the Word “Beamter” - all workers at
his office are “Beamte” for him. A “Beamter” is employed by the state for
his working lifetime - he can never be fired!!!!. In English you will say a
“Beamter” is an officer or civil servant.

If I look at this “Call for projects 2002” then I get a feeling that you
will become a “Beamter” for art (Kunstbeamter - funny wordplay, too)  - if
you start to go in this trap. I respect artist which doing it, no question.
But, can you make art this way?

I just remember the book by W. Somerset Maugham “The Moon and Sixpence” -
you can find it on the Internet for free. What a different story to be an
artist which he wrote long time ago. (1918, first print)

Yes, business is business and artist now rushing to do the first work of the
WTC catastrophe - and be sure that artist will ask for grants to do this
work, too.

Maybe, nothing is wrong with this.

Maxim

     [headited @ nettime]

>From: Angela Plohman <aplohman@fondation-langlois.org>
>To: Electrik BG <electrik_bg@egroups.com>,   fineArt Forum
><editor@fineartforum.org>,   Nettime <nettime-l@BBS.THING.NET>,   New Media
>Notes <stella@artistsireland.com>, NICE <nice@x-i.net>,   Rhizome Raw
><list@rhizome.org>, Sarai Reader List <reader-list@sarai.net>,   spectre
><spectre@mikrolisten.de>,   Universes in Universe - Forum
><universes-arts@kbx.de>,   webartery <webartery@yahoogroups.com>, x-change
><x-change@re-lab.net>
>Subject: RHIZOME_RAW: The Daniel Langlois Foundation Announces Major
>Changes
>Date: Mon, 24 Sep 2001 15:21:23 -0400
>
>September 24, 2001
>
>Call for projects 2002: The Daniel Langlois Foundation Announces Major
>Changes
>
>-- [CALL FOR PROJECTS 2002 - NEW DEADLINES]
>-- [MAJOR CHANGES TO THE FOUNDATION'S PROGRAMS]
>-- [PROGRAM GUIDE AND APPLICATION FORM NOW AVAILABLE IN SPANISH]
>

>[CALL FOR PROJECTS 2002]
>
>The Daniel Langlois Foundation is pleased to launch its call for projects
 <...>