Alan Sondheim on Thu, 25 Oct 2001 10:14:09 +0200 (CEST)

Re: <nettime> from hypertext to codework

There is collaboration in a number of ways. None of us (examples you give)
operate or produce in a vacuum; my work often requires assistance or col-
laboration, to the extent that "my" becomes suspect. The identities I work
with - "Nikuko" and others - are also disseminations across other
practices (IRC, newsgroups, email lists, etc.) and others have also taken/
used the name. There were also projects created for the trAce online
writing group which were all collaborations in the traditional sense; one
of them, Lost, is still running.

Then there is also a question of nettime; what I place on nettime (and
this may be true of others you mention) is what nettime accepts; the
collaborative dance/bodywork has no place or room here; this is also true
for most of the directory material on the cdroms. An email is almost
always signed, leaving its trace; it is a trail which almost literally
hystericizes its identity function in the full header. And again, this
affects, if not effects, what any of us are capable of doing in this
medium.

Alan -

Internet text at http://www.anu.edu.au/english/internet_txt
Partial at http://lists.village.virginia.edu/~spoons/internet_txt.html