geert on Sun, 10 Feb 2002 08:17:44 +0100 (CET)

<nettime> are there anymore porto alegre reports?

<http://www.laweekly.com/ink/02/12/cover-cooper.shtml>

L.A. Weekly - February 8 - 14, 2002

Left With Hope
Some un-American thoughts from Brazil on global Justice

by Marc Cooper

PORTO ALEGRE, BRAZIL -- AFTER SPENDING last week here with 50,000
others at the World Social Forum -- what the press has dubbed the
"anti-globalization summit" -- it would be easy to make fun of the
guy who was wearing a red-and-blue Che Guevara cape.

Or the clumps of balding, middle-aged Belgians and Danes with Che
T-shirts stretched across their paunches as they ambled about in
short pants, black socks, and sandals. Or the little bottles of local
rotgut booze for sale re-labeled with, yes, images of Che. Or the
crudely drawn and even more primitively translated wall propaganda
posters shrieking that the "Yankee state is worldwide center of
outrage, torture, strokes, [sic] bombardments, militar [sic]
interventions and slaughter of innocent millions." Or the scraggly
squads of "reporters" from various "indymedia" centers, frenetically
capturing one another on video- and audiotape that they earnestly
post on Web sites read only by themselves.

Or that the feverish rock-star welcoming rained on Noam Chomsky by an
auditorium full of screaming fans swarming for his autograph made you
cringe and wonder if the 73-year-old MIT professor would reciprocate
by tossing a sweat-soaked handkerchief out to the front row.

But to focus on any of the above would be misleading. Those antics
were strictly trivial and mostly amusing sideshows. This second
annual World Social Forum, organized as a grassroots alternative to
the elite World Economic Forum in New York, turned out to be a
refreshingly serious and sober five days of discussion, debate and
meditation over the meaning of the global-justice movement and where
it is heading in the post-9/11 world.

In other words, delightfully little of that burdensome, depressing
crapola that you could certainly expect when you lock up several
thousand American activists in a couple of big lecture halls for five
or six days. The World Social Forum survived the entire week with
none of the usual circular firing squads our American left has become
so expert at organizing. No Women's Caucus, or African-American
Caucus, or Latino Caucus, or AsianPacific Islander Caucus, or LGBT
Caucus spontaneously formed to exhibit its "outrage" over the lack or
excess of -- fill in the blank -- within the Forum organization.
Mercifully, no gruesome game playing of Who's the Bigger Victim?

No process-freak crybabies whining about too much hierarchy or too
many experts on the dais (I don't know about you, but when I sit for
hours at a stretch to hear a panel of speakers, they better damn well
be experts). No trust-funder Black Blocers in ski masks claiming to
be smashing international capitalism by breaking the windows of a
Starbucks. No Food Police forcing tofu lunches on you. Or Nicotine
Nazis snuffing out your ciggies. And, praise Jesus, none of that damn
"twinkling" going on -- the infantile and wholly idiotic process now
in vogue among American activists whereby they raise their hands and
wiggle their fingers to show approval of what's being said in one of
their endless, process-laden, mind-deadening meetings.

Maybe this World Social Forum conducted itself with such studious
maturity because it was organized and dominated not by Americans, but
by Latin Americans and Europeans. The history of both groups has
taught them that politics is a deadly serious business and that you
better get it right. For when you screw up, the consequences can be
devastating and include getting tied to an iron mattress with an
electrode connected to your scrotum, or becoming one more number in,
say, the Holocaust. That sort of experience leaves little time for
sloshing around in the preferred American sandbox of identity
politics or fancying yourself as some sort of historic martyr because
the Seattle Police Department made you cry with a whiff of tear gas,
or confusing some dimwitted, mildly dangerous, yick-yack like John
Ashcroft for a real, live "fascist."

Writing in last week's The Nation magazine, one of the Forum
organizers, Paris-based author Susan George, confessed that after
September 11 she had hoped that the leadership of the wealthy
countries of the world would begin taking global inequity more
seriously. But, she wrote, that was naive. "Those who hold our
futures in their hands are not serious. They see no farther than the
noses of their bombers," George wrote. "Frightening though the
prospect may seem, citizens must accept the risk of being serious in
their place."

WOW, WHAT A GREAT LINE: THE RISK OF BEING serious.
That challenge was bravely assumed this past week here in Porto
Alegre. Some 15,000  "delegates," and an equal number or more
of "guests," filled one  Forum venue after another, from 8 in the
morning until late into the  night, listening, learning, reflecting, taking
notes and asking smart questions.

The intellectual menu offered up was simply staggering. Hundreds of
seminars, conferences, workshops and panel discussions held
throughout the city filled a 155-page tabloid-size guide. Some
overflowed university auditoriums with 3,000 seats. Others took place
in small classrooms. If you didn't want to join the throngs
worshiping Chomsky, you could go next door and hear from Indian
activist Vandana Shiva; or Philippine economist Walden Bello, who
dared to sketch a new, alternative international financial
architecture; or a panel of Argentine trade unionists; or Asian
water-rights activists; or some stunningly well-prepared
presentations from the Americans who did show up -- a wonderful
deconstruction of the WTO by Public Citizen's Lori Wallach or a
detailed critique of the proposed Free Trade Area of the Americas by
Sarah Anderson of the Institute for Policy Studies.

Five times as many people attended this year's Forum as did last
year. The U.S. delegation was the fifth biggest, with more than 400
representatives; last year, only a few showed up. And labor-backed
groups, such as Jobs With Justice, went out of their way to bring
along some of the more engaged U.S. activists and leave behind, well
. . . the more self-absorbed wankers.

"I'm here because I've seen that our more successful campaigns happen
when we tie into what's called 'common rights,'" said Tracy Yassini,
associate director of the Los Angeles Alliance for a New Economy, one
of the few Angeleno delegates. Her group has been effective in
fighting for a living wage in L.A. and Santa Monica. "Up to now I
haven't been involved in the anti-globalization campaigns," she said.
"But coming out of this Forum now, I feel I have an obligation to get
linked up."

No blueprints or battle plans came out of the Forum. Everyone takes
back with them whatever they can from a week of intellectual
engagement. And the overall lesson that we always do better when we
stress what unites us rather than what divides us.

This week's World Social Forum reminded me of what, in the first
place, attracted me to the left as a teenager in the '60s -- the
notion that you were connected to something much bigger and more
important than yourself. And for the first time in a long stretch,
this week's World Social Forum made it feel good again to still be
part of that.