Heiko Recktenwald on Sun, 16 Feb 2003 19:49:02 +0100 (CET)

Re: <nettime> pocock's boycotts

Hi Pocock, btw ;-)

On Sat, 15 Feb 2003, McKenzie Wark wrote:

> Mr Pocock confuses two relatively separate things, but it seems to me
> he makes an excellent point under each heading anyway.
>
> 1. why not boycott the media product of the United States and its allies
> at this point in time? One might argue that the arts community is mostly

Boycott or not, many pieces of so called american art are better than Bush
etc (maybe even Bush is better than Bush, I really like some aspects of
the person/family). But whatever happens, we will no longer view those
american things with the same eyes. A lot of things will no longer be
neutral, trash or whatever, pop, they will look really ugly.

What seemed to be history, "the ugly american", has reappeared in much
more terrible dimensions.It will last years for Hollywood etc to cure this
esthetic desease. Like Napalm and Dow Chemicals 30 years........

I dont know if Blair is so important, who believes in BBC (well, Pit),
but "american civilisation" will never be the same.

Maybe we should work in this direction more, the old Europe etc showing
american uglyness, even innocent one, this is most ugly.

H.

http://www.uni-bonn.de/~uzs106/ -- the messy mp4 playlist name game page.