Ivo Skoric on Wed, 20 Aug 2003 23:13:06 +0200 (CEST)

<nettime> ivogram x6: tourism, schlamperei, bush, ashcroft live!, war on journos

     [digested @ nettime]

"Ivo Skoric" <ivo@reporters.net>
     Extreme Tourist Experience
     Amerikanische Schlamperei
     Bush's preferences
     perfect opportunity for demonstrations to uphold constitutional
     US at war with Press Corps in Iraq

From: "Ivo Skoric" <ivo@reporters.net>
Date: Sun, 17 Aug 2003 09:08:19 -0400
Subject: Extreme Tourist Experience

Ulcin has a small sandy beach, crowded as the Holland tunnel in rush
hour, called appropriately "The Small Beach". I literally walked over
bodies to reach the muggy water. It is 2 Euros to bath there. Which
explains why the beach is clean every morning: there are guys paid to
clean it up every evening. A necessary solution for the place that so
carelessly dispose of its garbage as Montenegro is.

There is also a 13 km long sandy beach, called simply "The Long
Beach", outside of the town, where tourists from Belgrade go.

I stay in a house perched atop a cliff. One kid jumped off today. It
is 60 feet, maybe higher. But jumping from crazy heights is a rite of
passage for boys here. One that precedes, agewise, rally racing on
the poorly maintained, narrow mountain roads.

What would they think of New Jersey - where most of the pools had
their springboards removed for insurance purposes? And what of the 55
mph speed limit on six-lane highways?  The opposing cliff is covered
with modern man litter: PVC bags and type 2 clear recyclable plastic.

It is easy to guess that most of the guests here are Kosovo
Albanians: restaurants play corny music, restrooms in private
accommodation have a bottle of water near the toilette, and no
toilette paper; and the beggars, which, with stray dogs, are
commonplace in Ulcin, beg in Albanian. Germans and even Czechs do not
manage to reach Ulcin.

Officially there is 120,000 tourists in Montenegro. Unofficially,
there is twice as much. Every homeowner in Ulcin rents every room of
their houses to guests and sleeps in the kitchen. By not reporting
all the guests, they save on taxes. That ads 40% to the population of
Montenegro during Summer.

In dry years that is bound to cause water shortages - as there are
now in Bar, Budva, and, somewhat, Ulcin. Also, sewer pipes tend to
break under increased pressure, causing the unpleasant smell of some
locales. And the drought also nurture forest fires - often caused by
a cigarette butt thrown through the car window. Everybody smokes, and
everybody just throws things out from the car, as if the nature is a
big garbage bin.

All the roads look like they can barely be one way, yet they are all
two-way roads, plus the pedestrians walk right in the middle, and in
the country, not that seldom, you can run into a cow.

Also, it is very good to be a man. Men can walk around dressed (or
undressed) as they wish, they can drive as they please, do what they
desire, and women are supposed to hover around them looking to be of
some help to them.

Ada Bojana: no Kosovars there, but the place to see Belgraders
literally naked, and ‘the Montenegrin lawnmowers' (cows graze freely)
in action. Also, it is a little cleaner than on the Ulqin side.
Still, no paper in the bathrooms. No water either. It is interesting
how most of the foreign help focuses on democracy and freedom, while
people here feel and behave much more uninhibited than in many other
places I've lived at, including the U.S.

Yugoslav snowboard team spends their summers here kite-surfing.
Snowboard instructors from Kopaonik teach basics of wind-surfing and
kite-surfing. They also rent that equipment and kayaks to tourists.
But, like everyone else there, they are not really very interested in
making a buck. I observed how they nearly drove away a group of
Albanian-Americans from The Bronx, when they inquired about renting a
boat. Don't expect the eager service with an obsequious smile there.

With its relaxed attitude to dress-code, driving, smoking, and other
little sinful pleasures, Montenegro overall feels more free than a US
city (and there is no constant looming threat over your head). Oh, of
course, I took a kayak to the Albanian border. No patrol-boat with
120mm guns showed up. Just one soldier in camouflage (camouflage
uniforms became the fashion choice of all armies liberated from
communism, because of their association with the mighty Hollywood),
whistled after me, and shouted: "Hey, you can't go down there." Very
little is regulated. The police is more courteous and respectful than
NYPD. They gave up on giving a damn. They definitely let me go on
driving without a seatbelt, surprising my wife (who said that this
was only because I was a guy in this ultra-macho society).

The new tourist attraction of Montenegrin coast, however, is becoming
the "sewage waterfalls." Rugged and intimidating cliffs with broken
pipes draped over them. One lady, close to where I stay, just walks
out of her house with the garbage bin, and empties the garbage right
over the fence, that marks the cliff. Some of it ends in the water,
some of it stays covering the cliff. Garbage container is too far to
walk to, they say.

And the sewers were never built - because all this housing is the
temporary accommodation, established after the big earthquake, that
devastated Ulcin eight years ago. There was a Hotel here before the
earthquake. Now there are houses of those that lost theirs due to it.

They, however, have no ownership rights, hence no interest in
investing in an expensive project like a 3km long sewer pipe. So, the
pipi and kaka of the local tenants goes over the cliff into the sea,
right in their backyard. For most of the year, that means less than
50 people, and very turbulent seas that do a quick clean-up.

In summer the sea is calm, and local families sleep in their
kitchens, renting all their rooms to tourists, most often Kosovo
Albanians, at least doubling the population using the same broken
sewer line. So, it would be really smelly and disgusting for a
spoiled American tourist, I guess. Or a European. They, seeing that
garbage is everywhere, contribute with their own litter.

Otherwise, this place has one of the most breathtaking ‘extreme
backyards' I've seen so far. As I said, the house is perched atop a
60 ft cliff, with the living room window having a view over the sea
that extends all the way to Italy. The cliff ends in a natural ramp
that reaches deep in the sea like an arm of a giant rocky creature.

The ramp is vertical on both sides, and, fortunately, the bigger
sewer line empties on the side that is not deep enough to jump. On
the other side one can jump from 50 ft right from ones backyard into
refreshingly cold, deep sea.. The path to the sharp edged ramp is a
narrow passage framed by the torny Montenegrin vegetation and guarded
by Rocky, a small yellow dog that barks very loud when somebody comes
close to his passage.

That punk kid and his friend came again, he jumped right from the
top, while the other again hesitated, than, teased to death by the
first kid, walked half, or, perhaps, three-quarters way down and
jumped from there. I was told by my host's teenage daughter that
those two are the worst pupils in her school. They proudly admitted
to that.

Naturally, the company that owned a hotel here before the earthquake
wants to build another one on the same spot. Then, of course, they
would built a sewer and organize the garbage collection. But they
have no money to begin with, and the current tenants, of course, do
not want to leave their lucrative location.

The land-ownership is unclear, since the privatization drive occurred
in Montenegro only after the earthquake, when this location was
already assigned the temporary relief status. Left to the market
regulation of this liberal's paradise without clear ownership,
tenants stay where they are until further notice, and nobody is
building a sewer or organizing garbage collection, since they are
there just temporary, well into their ninth year.

Because of one parameter of their location - closeness to the sea,
they can rent their rooms in summer, and because of another - open
sewer, they have to rent them to the poorest of tourists - Kosovo
Albainians. They can't care less about littering, since they see the
garbage everywhere around anyway.

This by far is not an isolated problem: the municipal sewer line of
the town of Ulcin is also broken. This, looks like a much more urgent
target for USAID and/or EU help, than making more political parties
in Montenegro. Local joke says: one hundred Montenegrins went to war,
one hundred one returned.

Montenegro is between US and EU, and between Kosovo and Belgrade. US
invests more money, but in the less tangible projects. EU built
public lights in Bar and Golubovac, and repaired the main road
between Podgorica and Bar, but earmarks a little money for
Montenegro.

Belgrade tourists contribute to car accidents, Kosovo tourists
contribute to littering. Both groups are involved in drug trade that
comes from Albania - I felt as if I am in my old neighborhood's
subway station on 110th Street and Lexington Avenue, when I found a
used syringe in the background of a dilapidated house at the river
Bojana's estuary.

Given the garbage problem, and the natural beauty that is endangered
by it, Montenegro has plenty of environmentalists. They ask: did we
deserve such beauty? Eco-society Kalimero of Ulcinj established Eco
Patrol that fights illegal fishing with dynamite, pollution of River
Bojana, and the excessive littering everywhere. They are too small,
though, to stop the massive assault on the environment cause by
unregulated summer tourism.

Eco Center Delphin from Kotor is luckier: they are included on the
town's appropriations committee and receive USAID funds. Also, with
most of Belgrade tourists in Budva, and most of Kosovo tourists in
Ulqin-Ulcinj, Kotor is a relatively safe haven for environment.

Of all river-canyons in Montenegro, the most polluted is Zeta.  It is
the widest valley, so it was suitable for settlement, agriculture,
and industry. The results are devastating. The second largest
Montenegrin city of Niksic, often disposed untreated sewage waste
directly into Zeta, for the lack of resources to do anything else.
There are couple of murmur factories along the river, which empty
their waste in it. People who live along, use the river banks for
garbage disposal.

Generally, if the car brakes down, or is involved in an accident, and
it is not recoverable, in Montenegro, people just live it where it
died, or hurl it down the steep slope to the river at the bottom of
the canyon.

Ecological Society of Spuz is particularly angry at the murmur
factories, now. That's because the main polluter- aluminum smelter in
Podgorica, the second largest in Europe - operating at 40% is not any
more the main threat to the survival of the river.

One can argue for independence of Montenegro on ecological grounds -
with their borders, they would be more capable of controlling the
influx of tourists. Alternatively, the independence of Kosovo would
also help. As foreign citizens, Kosovars would be required to pay
double the tax (as I am), and given their numbers, that would
increase the Montenegrin budget, and thus ability to deal with the
waste collection, forest fire prevention, and sewer repair - which
should be the utmost priority now. Unless, of course, that money does
not end up in a private pocket - which would not be that surprising
here, where everything is run as a small business.

Needless to say, I acquired stomach pains and diarrhea during my
short stay at Ulcinj.

Ivo Skoric
19 Baxter Street
Rutland VT 05701