nettime's not so bitter digester on Sun, 19 Oct 2003 13:25:17 +0200 (CEST)

Re: <nettime> GNU bitterness [3x]; Linux strikes [1x]

Table of Contents:

   Re: <nettime> GNU bitterness
     Benjamin Geer <ben@socialtools.net>

   Re: <nettime> Old bitterness
     august <august@alien.mur.at>

   Re: <nettime> GNU bitterness
     august <august@alien.mur.at>

   RE: <nettime> Linux strikes back III
     Morlock Elloi <morlockelloi@yahoo.com>

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 18 Oct 2003 21:16:49 +0100
From: Benjamin Geer <ben@socialtools.net>
Subject: Re: <nettime> GNU bitterness

august wrote:
> if a company was smart, they
> would hijack a free software project, rename it something else and market
> it as their own achievment [with or without releasing the source code].

If they don't release the source code, and it's a copylefted project,
then they're violating the licence, and that is exactly the situation
that copyleft is meant to protect against.  (See
<http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/pragmatic.html>).  If their product is
substantially similar to the one they've copied, the original authors
will no doubt quickly become aware of it (one tends to be aware of major
developments in one's own field), and realise what happened.  One of the
main purposes of the FSF is to respond to exactly this situation (when
the software question is GNU software, or when developers of other
software ask for legal help from the FSF), and it seems to have been
effective in that role.

If they do release the source code, then the question becomes: what are
they providing which is more useful than the original free software
project?  Unless they're adding some value, nobody will pay for their
product.  If they are adding value, and they comply with the licence,
then that's great: that's what Red Hat and SuSE are doing, and more
power to them.  It's not hijacking; it's one of the freedoms that
copyleft is meant to guarantee.

If they don't release the source code, and the original project was
released under a non-copyleft free software licence such as the BSD
licence, then according to the licence they have done nothing wrong, but
I think this is indeed a social problem: they enjoyed certain freedoms
regarding the software they copied (the freedom to study, to modify, to
make a derived work), but they are denying others the same freedom with
respect to their derived work.  Again, copyleft exists in order to
remedy this social problem.  (See <http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/x.html>.)

> Most likely, a
> decent sized for-profit company would have enough resources to out-code
> and *out-shout* some individual hacker or small cohort of programmers.

The FSF's success in persuading GPL violators to release their source
code, without having to take them to court, shows that most companies
are terrified of being sued for this sort of offence, and of the bad
publicity it would bring them.  A tiny outfit like the FSF is enough to
bring them to heel.  Here's an example from
<http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/pragmatic.html>:

"Consider GNU Objective C. NeXT initially wanted to make this front end
proprietary; they proposed to release it as .o files, and let users link
them with the rest of GCC, thinking this might be a way around the GPL's
requirements. But our lawyer said that this would not evade the
requirements, that it was not allowed. And so they made the Objective C
front end free software."

> Here is one tiny and probably harmless example: Andrew Stevens'
> brilliant mpeg2 encoder, which includes a lot of high-level mathematics
> and is part of the mjpeg tools <http://mjpeg.sourceforge.net/>, was taken
> almost 1-to-1 into another set of really brilliant software at
> <http://heroinewarrior.com/libmpeg3.php3> written by Adam Williams.  At
> first the encoder came with almost no mention of the original author.
> Now, the package has been changed into something else entirely.

That's not 'hijacking' either; it's called a 'fork', and it's a normal
part of free software development.  The right to fork an existing
codebase is one of the freedoms intentionally provided by copyleft.  The
GNU project's compiler, GCC -- the same one that got the Objective C
front end thanks to the GPL -- was, by virtue of that same GPL, forked
by a group of frustrated programmers several years ago; they were
dissatisfied with the slow pace of GCC development at that time, and
with the difficulty of getting certain features accepted into GCC.  So
they made their own version, egcs, which turned out to be a very
successful project -- so much so, that a few years later, the FSF
decided that the egcs should become the official version of GCC, and the
two projects were merged again.  Thanks to the (temporary) fork, GCC got
a faster, more open and more responsive development process, and many
technical improvements as well.

> It's no wonder to me that Ogg Vorbis comes with a BSD
> style license <http://vorbis.com> & <http://xiph.org>.  They are after the
> attention. Their work depends highly on it. [...] But,
> what if someone changes the Ogg name or hides it under some other
> advertising umbrella and robs them of their due attention?

This is precisly the problem with BSD-style licences, as described in
<http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/x.html>.

Ben