human being on Tue, 16 Dec 2003 16:38:42 +0100 (CET)

Re: <nettime> Time to Remaster the Master Plan

On Friday, December 12, 2003, at 07:17  PM, martha rosler wrote:

> here are some further thoughts on the tower plans. but you cannot
> seriously be suggesting that those truly awful towers be rebuilt. As a
> New Yorker I don't care how many people sentimentally or definatly
> choose the option of repeating a mistake. I am not even remotely
> pleased with libeskind's proposal and find the freedom tower moniker
> an annoying and embarrassing bit of populist bravado, but let's get
> some architecture here, not the last gasp of an ill-conceived
> modernism, thankyouverymuch.  (and why is this stuff on nettime
> anyway? wrong kind of architecture)
>
> martha rosler

<snip>

  responded to Martha's good post offline, to try to explain,
  yet feel that acknowledging publicly that the post sent
  may not have been properly clarified as to why it was
  nettime specific is a good point and thus share why so
  in brief, as it is important to qualify some of the basics...

  1) i sent the URL because the issue has been engaged
  on nettime previously, which i participated in, and so it
  was assumed there was a basic literacy of architecture
  to make a connection. the investigative report somewhat
  confused a private proposal for the site with a reporting
  of the process, and these were easy to confuse in the
  first URL but not the second one, which was fantastic in
  describing the use of digital imagery to change the scale
  of the buildings (in computer-generated perspectives)-
  basically, the point that images can lie, and the computer
  and digital aesthetics can do the same when supporting
  architectures which are based on aesthetic ideas alone.
  and that this is a transparent example of the vacancy of
  modernism as an ideological approach, seen in what is
  being proposed as the 'master architecture' of ground
  zero, the 9/11 memorial, etc. and that nettimers of theory
  and conference settings often invoke architecture, so it
  was thought an architectural literacy exists on the list in
  enough complexity to derive the basic meaning, but still
  it should have been prefaced with falsifying online polls,
  false proportioning of computer renderings, et cetera,
  and this was mentioned by myself on this list at the time
  (polling data being managed, etc.) as was the idea of
  an open-plan, open-development, open-architecture for
  the site plan, which is now being called for-- which was
  sent to the NY NJ Port Authority for these public purposes,
  as part of the networking aspect of architecture, it could
  be compared to tactical media but it seems it is not of the
  same assumptions as a form of information beyond its
  aesthetic use for legitimating a view of the world, instead
  of a complex understanding and reasoning of built ideas.
  the open site plan: http://www.electronetwork.org/bc/GZ/

2)  in addition, after sharing correspondence another view
  of the same data was made, along with an essay which
  further describes these efforts to bring open-development,
  open-planning, networking of communities and public-
  and private-sectors, for the cultural foundation at GZ. this
  is nothing short of a challenge to establishment architects
  and is in effect an ultimatum, either there is change or it
  will collapse into utter failure-- architecture needs to now
  change its power center, change directions, or if will fail.
  architects will choose sides, the status quo or change.
  and it will be seen who is left standing, who is going to
  concede and join the efforts of change and open- and
  collaborative- development, and those who want to go
  on with this charade, fight, and lose. as such, this is the
  battle of ideas, online and offline, which has been going
  on for awhile now, and a bloody or bloodless coup is in
  the offing for the architectural establishment in the .US--
  do the right thing or get out of the way, out of the schools,
  and out of the profession, as change is coming.... plus,
  hell's bells by AC/DC is repeatedly playing on the radio,
  so there is a theme song for what is going to go down...

design-l post: new WTC zoning/site plan (img)
http://lists.psu.edu/cgi-bin/wa?A2=ind0312&L=design-l&O=D&P=3771

diagram/image: basic zoning concept:
http://www.electronetwork.org/bc/GZ/4.jpg

** site plan (2001) open zoning concept, sketch 12-13-2003:
http://www.electronetwork.org/bc/temp/zoningsite1.jpg

[related to:] memorial 'design' issue ....post follows: