dr.woooo on Fri, 23 Jan 2004 08:10:17 +0100 (CET)

<nettime> australia : For a Joint Unemployed and Illegal Labour Union

http://www.melbourne.indymedia.org/news/2004/01/60704.php

by Kat Klinkenstein Wednesday January 21, 2004 at 11:03 AM

A Draft Manifesto for a Joint Illegal and Unemployed Worker's Union

PAPERS FOR NONE, JOBS FOR ALL

PAPERS FOR NONE, JOBS FOR ALL!

For a Joint Unemployed and Illegal Labour Union

Nothing in the current industrial landscape is as shocking as the alignment of
major unions with the nationalist project of strengthened border and
immigration controls.  This marks the abdication of solidarity by these
organizations, for in persecuting so-called ‘illegal labour’ they pit worker
against fellow worker. A worker living in fear of deportation by the police and
denunciation by the trade-union is a worker with no bargaining power who must
accept whatever conditions are available and who must live with the bosses’
tolerance hovering above like the Sword of Damocles. Such a worker has been
forced into the condition of a scab by the prejudice of the unions themselves!
As such, her struggle is also the unemployed worker’s struggle. When unions
persecute workers because they are unblessed by the state, they have turned
their back on the universal right to work, not just of the paperless but of
everybody.  They have resorted to scape-goats with which to hide their lack of
courage and their own inability to win work for all workers. To the unemployed
they smile and point a finger towards the undocumented worker, saying: “there
is the reason you haven’t got a job!” To the employed they wink and
mutter: “there is your reason why we can’t get you a break!” All the while,
they wheel and deal with the bosses and debase themselves before the ALP. In
this way, their desire to justify their own powerlessness erodes the power of
both sets of workers, and we are left with nothing except a dire media
spectacle with which to re-elect the brainless.

Our society should not be a detention camp. We should not live by a system of
rewards administered by a state playing us off against each other. Work is not
a privilege, and neither is the provision of a tenable life out of work a
disposable luxury. If we allow the state to determine who amongst us may be
allowed to work and who amongst us will be allowed to live outside work, we
surrender to political parties our right to productive life itself. In their
hands, this right becomes so many vouchers and nationalist delusions with which
to buy workers for the lowest price and ensure their placidity. Once we
surrender the demands of universal solidarity, that is to say – once we accept
that some of us, by the mere location of their birth cannot be allowed a
productive life in or out of work amongst us – we forfeit our own freedom. We
can live by the delusion that persecuting the defenceless will bring back jobs
lost to profit-seeking bosses, but this decision not only condemns us to chase
our own shadows, it also makes sure that we will ourselves be vulnerable. Each
deported illegal worker weakens the position of all illegal workers, and
thereby weakens the position of all workers. We can chose to dream nationalist
fantasies that barricaded inside our island we will be safe from the hordes
outside, and we can chose to ignore the fact that the threat to our livelihood
comes rather from those who would have us so barricaded. Throwing people out of
the country won’t create jobs. You cannot create jobs by firing people, either
from a factory or from a country. Neither will deportations make casual work
permanent. You cannot improve work conditions by persecuting workers.

We can choose to cast our lot with these harmful delusions, or we can embrace
the historic task of labour, of universal fellowship and contempt for national
divisions, and forge a true international of workingmen and women, and of
workless men and women also. So long as our brothers and sisters overseas live
in abject misery, turning them away from our land is a crime of the highest
order. How can we kid ourselves that an illegal worker at low pay here is any
worse than a teeming population on no pay over there? The same week Mark Latham
announced he would persecute illegal labour, that he will wage war on labour’s
freedom of movement, he announced that he supported the freedom of movement of
capital. This is not half-baked nationalism on his part: this is what
nationalism entails.  Our land is not blessed: it is fortified. The effect of
this is devastating for those outside, but it is also very harmful for us.
Every dweller of castles must worry about what goes on outside the gates and
must live stalked by the thought that one day the walls shall crumble under the
combined weight of his privilege and the shouts of the outsiders. Dinner
parties taken on a distinctive feel when the neighbours are starving. Nobody
wants to live like this, and we don’t have to, if we work together for the
advancement of all – inside and outside our country, or better yet, with no
concern for boundaries.

Nobody will win freedom for us on our behalf. The unemployed must stand up for
their right to a livelihood in and out of work, for if the government can avoid
giving them their rights, it will.  Casual labour cannot hope to win rights by
denying them to other people, for it is worse than pointless to give the bosses
another stick with which to beat us. Illegal labour cannot hope to succeed by
hiding. Only together can we be strong enough to win. Only by disobedience and
furious solidarity can we forge a network that provides security for all. Such
is our struggle.

Kat Klinkenstein
discuss
 http://www.melbourne.indymedia.org/news/2004/01/60704.php