Jeff Gates on Mon, 30 Aug 2004 17:39:37 +0200 (CEST)

<nettime> What's the Matter with Politics? Home Shopping, That's What

As the Republicans roll into NYC, I've begun to wonder: what's the matter
with politics?

It used to be clear: the Republicans represented wealth and the Democrats
represented the working-class. But both parties have worked hard to fuzzy
those distinctions over the years for their own self-interests. And it
hasn't served the voter one bit. When it comes to class and economics, both
parties seem to be in denial.

When it doubt, I always turn on the TV. So I turned to QVC, my home shopping
network for some answers. There I found all the class-conscious class I ever
wanted. And there seems to be some correlation between home shopping and the
political landscape.

In order to sift through these issues, I've created a "conversation" between
Lisa, one of QVC's "selling jockeys," and Thomas Frank, author of "What's
the Matter with Kansas: How Conservatives Won the Heart of America." A few
bystanders, like Ann Coulter, George Will, and G. Gordon Liddy chime in.

"What's the Matter with Politics: Home Shopping, That's What"
http://wetheblog.org/archive/000093.html