Jody Berland on Sun, 7 Nov 2004 13:08:15 +0100 (CET)

Re: <nettime> The car park theory of American takeover

I like it.  It works for me.  The car parks and the cars, and the used car
lots, and the strip malls, the cloverleafs, the drive-in banks and fast food
joints, the automated voices and instant tellers, self-serve gas stations
with skyscraper signs and digitalized fuel dispensaries, golden arches on
every corner, surveillance cameras everywhere, the undertow of chemical
smells and social darwinism and anxiety, you go to the mall and there's
different people working there, what if you forget where you parked your
car, what if someone steals it, is there any logic to its location and which
way should you walk, everyone you see is a stranger, everyone is a possible
enemy, you can't let your children or pets out of your sight. People long
for the small town and the cowboy hat, familiar church sounds, comforting
donuts, a nod, a lost cornfield, a commitment that almost looks back.

Jody Berland

ps by the way I see no contradiction between the 2 views of carparks and
devotion presented thus far.