Heiko Recktenwald on Sat, 4 Jun 2005 09:05:29 +0200 (CEST)

Re: <nettime> new europe, old europe [pocock, joe, geer, elloi]

Hi,

> From: joe@overmydeadbody.org
> Subject: Re: <nettime> French vote for a citizen's Europe
> Date: Wed, 1 Jun 2005 20:53:06 +0200

<...>

> We started a real debate on what we want Europe to really be, where the
> sovereignty of the people finds true expression, able to withstand the

Wow, of what people are you talking? ;-)

The french, the dutch, the europeans?

> bludgeoning of the lobbies in Brussels, the permeabilty of the
> Commission to corporate greed. For example, the manner in which the
> European Parliament's firm NO to software patents is being overturned
> by the Commission, teleguided by Microsoft, demonstrates that the

Good example, look at the details (posted here some days ago): if you dont
say no, you say yes....the same method was used by the german governement
when they halfimplemented the (not SO extremly bad) EU directiv on
copyprotection..

> Parliament, which under the constitution will not be able to initiate
> legislation, remains a semi-puppet organisation.

I must confess that I am rather happy with THIS! My governement has
still more democratic legitimation than any european body today.

What sux must is not the lack of democracy of "Brussels", but that they
even dont try to get one. They do what they want and this has finaly
reached some kind of limit, maybe or hopefully.

To start with a "constitution" without any european public, that is more
than a french or dutch (the germans were not even asked, why not, because
they cannot vote?..), was ridicule.

H.