Jody Berland on Wed, 21 Jun 2006 18:54:51 +0200 (CEST)

<nettime> Re: nettime-l-digest V1 #1750

There seems to have been big tidal waves of events that flowed past me and I
didn't notice.  How could I have missed Montreal??  I just came back from
there.

I would like to add my 2c worth to the lurking and working arguments.  I
don't think anyone should underestimate the fantastic space Nettime has
opened up or how important it is to keep it going.  But why it is important
is also why it is hard.  Someone commented that

... with more and more
social noise blaring out of internet-boom-boxes we are moving towards
entropy and inertia; we are increasingly inclined to neither hate, nor love,
just to open up more.... And the more stories we are exposed to, the less
inclined we are
to take positions. How could we? Knowing that so many view things so
differently.

Personally, I agree that there is too much information coming at me from the
internet, someone asked me recently how much time I spend on email/internet
and I said, probably 2 hours a day.  It's ridiculous.  So sometimes I don't
get to the Nettime postings, and after a while I just sigh and archive them.
But information overload isn't really why people "don't take positions"-- I
think it's because of precarity (fear of being outspoken) and overwork
(burnout) and also because career paths are more and more tied up with the
issues discussed on the list.  As my colleagues and students become more
technologically sophisticated, they also get more canny and privatized and
careful.   That's why we need this list -- to demonstrate to ourselves and
one another that it is still possible to be intelligent, committed, and even
polemical about things that matter even when you can't put it on your CV.

Jody Berland