nico on Fri, 26 Jan 2007 03:56:44 +0100 (CET)

Re: <nettime> act 4 radical europe: rejoinder

hey alex,

The current welfare state (or rather, the declining welfare state) was /
is built on both non-wage labour (women, families, etc), and the global
wage and class inequities. I could be wrong, but many people far smarter
than me show that in part at least the end of welfarism was precipitated
by the struggles of those two 'classes' against their place within the
international/national orders (I am thinking here of the world-systems
theorists in particular). As Sliver, the author of 'Forces of Labor',
says, there was a Wallerstein crisis - the state and capital couldn't
afford to bring all these people into the welfare deal that was cut so
as to resolve some of the antagonisms the were left unresolved at the
end of the 19th century and the end of the second world war. Because
welfare is and can only be premised on such an inequity. That's part of
the basic structure of capitalism - the whole profitability thing. I
wouldn't say Europe is the site of 'worlds-best' (read: profitable)
welfare, because it is unraveling - both financially and structurally
(the structure is shifting more towards workfare and a kind of
endo-colonialism for the poors) and as a mode of discourse. Part of what
made welfare welfare was that it was predicated on the white male wage
worker in the 'west'. But the definition of a 'full citizen' (read:
fully human), of a worker, of work, of 'socially useful activity and
against this very notion, etc, has radically been called into question.
Part of my problem with a new welfarism is that i cannot see how such a
thing could come into being, nor even be promoted 'realistically'
without perpetuating these very differences or creating new ones. Conrad
writes about this in Lord Jim: that the white crews 'led precariously
easy lives, always on the verge of dismissal, always on the verge of
engagement...' (pg 16). What he is describing is an 'aristocratic
precarity' based upon the cheaper and far more heavily policed labour of
the non-white. And I don't think it is any different now. Its easy to
see the current social war against the young, the non-white, the
migrant, women, the poor...    One of the problems facing any
self-organisation of these people in services, sales, temp, etc sectors
is this very powerful wage and power differential. Between the two types
of 'precarity' - the lucky few and the fucked multitude.  But I don't
think the solution is to work towards a new soc-dem Europe where it
seems obvious that the struggles of the latter will be subsumed into the
program of the former, as in every other soc-dem push in the past. For
how else can it be - capitalism can't really integrate the demands of
the poor wage labourer, let alone the demands of everyone including
these people. It's too much. And so I don't see the point of pushing for
something that both can't happen, and will only eventuate in a
continuation of the current system. Hell, Greek democracy was built of
slaves (both women and other kinds of slaves). 21st century democracy
isn't really that different. Perhaps its time to move on from the word -
as Ross writes in contremps 6, 'Democracy has become default politics,
the political default position, in every sense." - but really, what does
it actually mean? How does this default position play out? Why use it
other than to perpetuate or preserve the current inequities?  Why try to
appeal to the 'moderates'? What does 'being realistic' really get 'us'?
In addition, I can't see how creating yet another organisation 'to rule
them all' will help matters. It is not 'our' lack of differences that
means 'we' haven't gotten what 'we' want - the reasons for where the
world finds itself are legion, as are the differences in the multitudes.
Unity shouldn't be a goal now, nor in the future. And I don't think the
singular can remain singular under such circumstances as a single
organisation (or even network) - singular and connected is vastly
different as a concept and reality IMHO. The idea of singular and
connected appeals to me - but that's not to say that there should be
total connection: connected doesn't mean a smooth space of total
connection. It means a patchwork of connections and alliances, shifting
front lines and communications. And it doesn't mean working 'over' the
very real and unresolvable differences that exist. I really liked PM's
'bolo bolo' on this - a little dated and 'hippy' perhaps, but
none-the-less a very good thought experiment into singular yet
connected. And I don't see how step by step demands that end up
reforming a system that cannot accommodate such demands can get 'us'
past capitalism, let alone past  a notion of 'us' that automatically
implies a unity or totality far far away from singularity...   to
challenge the shape of Europe doesn't mean taking on the form of Europe.
The movement of bodies across the frontiers of Europe is a challenge to
the very formulation and composition of Europe, but it is a movement,
full of contradictory effects (and affects), and not a series of demands
that can only ever be compromised on and lead to exclusion once again
from Europe. If 'we' have something to do, surely it is not to reform
Europe, but put it radically into question moving beyond the
parliamentary political form, beyond the state and beyond capital. A
moving that is possible and impossible, yet necessary.

besos

:: http://del.icio.us/diasporas ::