Geert Lovink on Thu, 8 Feb 2007 05:49:15 +0100 (CET)

Re: <nettime> shocklogs wikipedia entry

Thanks, Pit.

Here an update. A while the entry deleted (again).

What is kind of amazing is the Anglo-Saxon language policing, which
term is and is not 'proper' English. An (English) wikipedia entry
cannot be valid if it based on 'foreign language' sources.... now about
that? Wikipedia is not a dictionary and in fact there are many
Englishes so it makes you wonder why in particular 'neologisms' are
targetted. and not names of (famous) persons, as Pit Schulz mentioned.

Below I have copy-pasted some of entries of the delete discussion.

The following contribution asks the key question: "This article is well
resourced and only being targeted because of US-centric editing. As a
regular reader of Wikipedia (yes, I know, our opinions are not as
important as those of OCD-disorder-driven editors) I am interested in
terms which may not be used in the US but are used elsewhere. In this
case, it only takes a bit of Google research (search "shocklog blog")
to see this term has a meaning and is in use. Is Wikipedia an American
or global project?"

Some others:

   * Merge with Blog, as a "Shocklog" is a type of blog. Flakeloaf
04:10, 21 January 2007 (UTC)

   * Delete Lacks sources demonstration sufficient use to satisfy
WP:NEO. Sources consist of a couple of foreign-language blogs and an
on-line Master's thesis. Need published sources complying with WP:RS
--Shirahadasha 04:52, 21 January 2007 (UTC)

    * Delete, basically a neologism, and an imprecise one at that. Is
Stile Project a "shocklog"? Lankiveil 05:16, 21 January 2007 (UTC).

* Very Strong Delete One of the "sources" cited puts the nail in the
coffin on this one!

    From "Masters of Media:"[1] "To our surprise the term shocklog, a
wellknown term in the Netherlands, was nowhere to be found on the rest
of the World Wide Web. We wanted that to change, so we -The Masters of
Media- coined the term on a new English Wikipedia entry."

    So, they invented it and posted it on Wikipedia in order to coin a
new term.zadignose 18:17, 21 January 2007 (UTC)

    * Can it be speedied? If not, DELETE per Zadignose. -Penwhale |
Blast the Penwhale 20:59, 21 January 2007 (UTC)

    * Delete WP:NEO--Dacium 05:13, 22 January 2007 (UTC)

  * Not Delete The entry is based on two published sources; two MA
thesis' which were published by the University of Amsterdam. Just to
clear up the confusion with regards to the Masters of Media blog post,
they -MofM- did NOT make up this term, they only created an entry in
Wikipedia about it! "With 'coining a term to the world" they mean
introducing published material via wikipedia to a larger public. The MA
thesis' and the videofiles date earlier than the MofM post (and
wiki-entry) does. ?The preceding unsigned comment was added by
83.160.180.211 (talk) 10:48, 22 January 2007 (UTC).

      * Then it's a WP:COI issue. Note that OA of article only
contributed to 2 articles (the other being Roy Ascott), and Annemamedia
(talk ? contribs) has no other edits apart from this article. -Penwhale
| Blast the Penwhale 11:10, 22 January 2007 (UTC)

     * I see nothing on the link you cited to indicate it is a conflict
of interest. Please recheck your link and see
WP:No_original_research#Citing_oneself. How many articles the OA has
edited seem irrelevant. ?The preceding unsigned comment was added by
150.182.148.34 (talk) 16:20, 23 January 2007 (UTC).

    * Delete: still a neologism in English, and acknowledged by the
authors to be "nowhere to be found on the rest of the World Wide Web".
-- The Anome 11:13, 22 January 2007 (UTC)

    * Delete, and do not merge anywhere. Blatantly invented word.
Flyingtoaster1337 13:18, 22 January 2007 (UTC)

    * Not Delete This article is well resourced and only being targeted
because of US-centric editing. As a regular reader of Wikipedia (yes, I
know, our opinions are not as important as those of OCD-disorder-driven
editors) I am interested in terms which may not be used in the US but
are used elsewhere. In this case, it only takes a bit of Google
research (search "shocklog blog") to see this term has a meaning and is
in use. Is Wikipedia an American or global project? ?The preceding
unsigned comment was added by 150.182.149.137 (talk) 19:33, 22 January
2007 (UTC).

        * Not Delete Wholehearted agreement. I, too, am a regular reader
and believe that neologisms such as these are essential parts of the
Wikipedia. ?The preceding unsigned comment was added by LordFoom (talk
? contribs) 07:34, 23 January 2007 (UTC).

    * Delete ? the Anome (talk ? contribs) put it well: a term "nowhere
to be found on the rest of the World Wide Web" is not a fit subject for
a Wikipedia article &#10149;the Epopt 17:10, 24 January 2007 (UTC)

    * Delete From en wikipedia until notable in en WP:RS sources,
regardless of where en is spoken. Ronabop 18:38, 24 January 2007 (UTC)

    * Strong Merge to Shock site. A blog is by definition a website, it
is intended to shock, and so it is a shock site. That it takes the form
of a blog is of no real concern - it differs in no material way besides
small changes in format. --Gwern (contribs) 19:23 24 January 2007 (GMT)

  * keep this is a good objective article meeting WP:WEB. But these are
a special type of blog, and they are special enough, albeit in a
negative way, to be appropriate for an article. The analogy is Shock
site, which goes into considerably more detail than is thought
appropriate on this article. The article served its purpose--I never
knew about them until I read the WP article--and I would say the same
here.

    The statement that "shocklog, a wellknown term in the Netherlands,
was nowhere to be found on the rest of the World Wide Web. We wanted
that to change, so we -The Masters of Media- coined the term on a new
English Wikipedia entry." says the exact opposite of their having
invented it. They took a term used in one country and began using it in
another. They did not coin the word. If it were in wide use in the
Netherlands but not here, it would still deserve an entry in the en
WP.DGG 23:11, 25 January 2007 (UTC)

--

More on the shocklogs wikipedia entry case here:

http://mastersofmedia.hum.uva.nl/2007/02/06/wikipedia-battle-log-
neologisms-minorities-and-us-centric-views/

And as an addition a video fragment on 'wikilobbying':

http://www.comedycentral.com/motherload/player.jhtml?
ml_video=81454&ml_collection=&ml_gateway=&ml_gateway_id=&ml_comedian=&ml
_runtime=&ml_context=show&ml_origin_url=%2Fmotherload%2F%3Fml_video%3D81
454&ml_playlist=&lnk=&is_large=true

http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Talk:Reality&action=history

Bye, Geert

(thanks to students of the Masters of Media collective blog

On 2 Feb 2007, at 2:50 AM, Pit Schultz wrote:

> there are many examples like this. wikipedians are quite tolerant to people
> adding their own names if they play in a band etc. but  neologisms do not
> easily get in, especially if they are derivates of established  ones - mostly
> when they do not pass the "google test". if a notion is not established with
> maybe 20 to 30 sources, it tends to get deleted. once you got it  on
> boingboing it??s widely found. see bruce sterling??s "spime".
 <...>