yaco on Wed, 7 Nov 2007 14:07:39 +0100 (CET)

Re: <nettime> Goodbye Classic ?

David garcia wrote:
>  If I want to show these works these days on
> (say a Macbook Pro running tiger) I don't think there is any other way
> than to install the "classic" to make them run.

a point that i think is missing in this discussion is that the
hardware itself is an important part of the work. this happens in lots
of fields, ie: early music pieces. most lute works can be performed
using a modern 6-string guitar, but hearing it played on obsolete
hardware --ie: a lute-- will let you experience the piece in a way
much more closer to the composer's intention.

i guess long-term preservation of software art should take this into
account. even for works done using more open technologies, current
hardware doesn't react to this 'primary sources' the same way it did
twenty years ago. most of the HyperCard stacks were done on and for
a black and wite nine inch monitor embedded in a rectangular beige
case with a lightning fast 8 MHz processor. emulating that on a 2
GHz, dual core laptop with a 15' active-matrix LCD may work, but will
never 'feel' the same as recovering your old Macintosh Plus from the
basement, turning it on --say hello to system 6.0.7!-- and viewing the
thing the way it was meant to be.

best,

yaco\

--