Christiane Robbins on Tue, 27 Nov 2007 05:03:37 +0100 (CET)

Re: <nettime> ICT and Aboriginal Peoples

Hi there Ben,

You know, I'm unfamiliar with the evidence cited in your post,
however I am a bit more familiar with the embedded myths/biases that
are positioned with in this "evidence."   Oh yes ... I recognize at
least one ... the all encompassing resurrection of the " noble savage. "

Perhaps another one is that all aboriginal peoples gathered under the
rubric  of " The Ecological Indian" are one and the same.  No issues
of cultural, tribal or geographic diversity were ever raised amongst
those darn "Indians," I'm sure!

"He finds that the Ecological Indian proposition is of doubtful
validity, concluding that, for example, Indians needlessly killed
many buffalo, set fires that got out of
control, and over-exploited deer and beaver for their skins."

I'm able to infer a few more which I believe are rather easily
apparent, especially in Point 2 of the abstract, i.e " inefficient
extraction technologies and the lack of profitable markets for
extracted resources."

Chris

On Nov 25, 2007, at 9:19 PM, Benjamin Geer wrote:

>> On 18/11/2007, Jesse Fiddler <jessefiddler@knet.ca> wrote:
>> All Indigenous communities at one time or another were
>> self-sustainable.
>
> Do you have any evidence for that?  Here's some evidence to the
> contrary:
 <...>

Christiane Robbins

- JETZTZEIT -
... the space between zero and one  ...
Walter Benjamin

LOS ANGELES    I    SAN FRANCISCO

The present age prefers the sign to the thing signified, the copy to
the original, fancy to reality, the appearance to the essence for in
these days illusion only is sacred, truth profane.

Ludwig Feuerbach, 1804-1872,

http://www.jetztzeit.net