KMV on Fri, 5 Dec 2008 20:51:09 +0100 (CET)

Re: <nettime> Call for support: Pirates of the Amazon, taken down by Amazon.com

I don't actually think the cases are comparable and prefer we stay
away from straw men in this discussion.

For myself, the choice is not between buying something on Amazon or
downloading a torrent, but rather between downloading a torrent or not
getting it at all.

Further, Cory Doctorow's success suggests that being able to download
books for free does not equal harm to the author.

Finally, by this logic the students would be almost as culpable if
they instead provided links to local libraries who would deliver the
book, cds, or dvds to you, because after all, those libraries only
paid for it once, yet here we all are, reading those books or
listening to those cds or watching those dvds for free.  But of course
this argument would be ridiculous, woudn't it?

Best,

Kim

On Fri, Dec 5, 2008 at 11:04 AM, Morlock Elloi <morlockelloi@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Say, if art students of another university used their technological
> savvyness and artistic inclinations to capture data from an ATM as cards
> and pins are entered (this is totally possible and has been done), and then
> created an interesting collage of duplicated cards with PINs printed on
> them, which they would display next to an ATM (perhaps cards would be tied
 <...>

--
Kim De Vries

http://else-if-then.blogspot.com