Stefan Heidenreich on Fri, 26 Dec 2008 20:11:22 +0100 (CET)

Re: <nettime> Dollar Shift: Chinese Pockets Filled as Americans Emptied

dear Felix,
let me try to summarize some ongoing debates on the issue.

On Dec22nd Bloomberg claimed to have knowledge through a leak that
China's reserves shrank the first time in 5 years.
http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601089&sid=atlPtgBgI.9Q&refer=china
China's reports on its currency reserves seem to be very intransparent
and come only every 3 months. Brad Setser, one of the bloggers who
regularly comment on the chinese economy, doubted the reliability of
these numbers.
http://blogs.cfr.org/setser/2008/12/23/so-what-is-going-on-with-chinas-reserves/
Bcs as the Chinese trade surplus is still growing, reserves need to grow
in order to keep the Yuan pegged to the Dollar. The most interesting
piece on that was done by Michael Pettis:
http://mpettis.com/2008/12/no-f-ing-way-these-numbers-are-awful/
Where he discusses also the prospects of policy reactions during the
unfolding crisis. He adresses it as an overcapacity problem, requiring
adjustment on the Chinese side. Whilst the Chines central bank tries to
blame the Americans for overconsumption.

One should look at the unequal couple China / US not only in terms of
debtor/producer and creditor/consumer but also from a different angle.
Main interests in both countries were perfectly well served throughout
the last years. The capitalists in the US made a bargain by profiting
from wage arbitrage, selling stuff to their increasingly indebted
consumers. China has run an incredible development programme, rushing a
process of industrialisation and modernization within the 20 years. The
credit to the US served for something like an inverse development aid
programme, directed at China's own economy. The trade inequality, the
overproduction, the dollar peg - all were necessary ingredients, welcome
on both sides.

Now both find themselves in a dead end. Any overreaction could spoil the
whole system - and risks to devaluate the dollar and thereby all the
chinese dollar-notated reserves.
Pettis also hints at the fact, that within the chinese government there
is neither a consensus nor the ability to react quickly. Changes process
slowly there.
http://mpettis.com/2008/12/can-parochial-concerns-undermine-the-global-adjustment-it-has-before/

It is important to note that the inequalities correspond to differences
of the both systems. Whilst in China business is still largely run under
close state control, in the US the state has been run increasingly as
business (not necessarily serving the interests of the country's
citizens). One of the most interesting aspects of it all is to observe
it as a conflict of two systems. Not that I would call one a democracy
and the other one not. Both are econo-cracies, but with differently
chosen actors.
So the question remains, at which point the crisis reaches an intensity
enforcing the inequality to be adressed. In the best case shortly after
Obama takes over we could enter a reverse process of growing state
expenses in the US, a controlled depreciation of the dollar, and on the
other side an unpegging of the yuan with a reorientation towards asian
currencies. So maybe things need not to 'break' at all, but will adjust
slowly.