Rama Hoetzlein on Tue, 19 May 2009 11:59:14 +0200 (CEST)

Re: <nettime> Political Work in the Aftermath of the New Media Arts Crisis

exactly.. even if we are fully unconcerned with political art, when
you say "wow, great work", thats just and only what i mean by implicit
change (you are changed).. art is autonomous here because, while the
work may or may not be political, this implicit change defines only
the meaning-relation between the artist, the work, and the viewer.
And that relationship is established independent of the impact of
media on society, i.e. politics. A philosophy of art should provide a
foundation for complete autonomy, and this is done by observing that
the basis of art is creating and appreciating.. keeping in mind that
theory only gets you so far as an artist.

rama