carlos katastrofsky on Tue, 19 May 2009 12:03:34 +0200 (CEST)

Re: <nettime> Political Work in the Aftermath of the New Media Arts Crisis

> The way out of this problem is, I believe, through a philosophy of
> art whereby the artist has full awareness of the problems of society
> (hopefully), yet continues to create works of art despite this.
> It is possible to have no illusions about the inability of art to
> bring about explicit social change, but understand that it can bring
> implicit change through individual communication.

but can "change" be a parameter for art? what is to be changed through
art? i agree that a "change" in whatever direction is possible but
IMHO art mustn't be reduced to it. to me art is also someting i can
admire without thinking of having to change something. in fact even
if i see some really good "political art" the first step is to admire
it (wow, great work) and then to think about consequences. art is
something autonomous. to me such an approach would free it from being
a mere form of communication, a medium, or "new media art". but at the
same time it can be all of that.

best,
carlos

--