"Dr. Tilman Baumgärtel " on Thu, 23 Dec 2010 20:20:53 +0100 (CET)

Re: <nettime> the banality of cyberpunk, short notes on wikileaks

Pit is making an important point about Wikileaks being part (or maybe
the climax?) of a digital culture, that manifested itself in the late
80s and early 90s in barcamps, hacker conventions and conferences like
"Next Five Minutes" and "Defcon". When I read the internal
communications of the Wikileaks group (rhizome? multitude?) that have
been leaked at cryptome.org and when I look at how they operate, I, just
like Pit apparently, have flashbacks of my own involvement in the kind
of loose forms of organization, that have been enabled by the internet.
(nettime came out of this kind of context, too....)

More specifically, those flashbacks involved memories of attending the
yearly meeting of the Chaos Computer Club in Berlin (presumably the
habitat of many of the early supporters of Wikileaks like Daniel
Domscheit-Berg/Schmitt who fell from grace since), where, as Pit pointed
correctly out, revolutionary schemes along the lines of Wikileaks were
hatched year after year by over-excited and unshaven young men in hoodies.

To get a sense of the idealism, but also of the agitated
know-it-all-triumphalism that is a frequent staple of this type of
politicized hacker culture, look at this presentation on a "Switzerland
of Bits" (what a slogan!) in Iceland by Assange (still with long hair)
and Daniel Schmitt from January 2010:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VWNfIvG4z-g&feature=player_embedded

I do not want to slam this subculture of friendly nerds, as they are
among the most competent commentators on and critics of technological
developments that often seem to be beyond social control. My point is
that Wikileaks demonstrates both the best and the worst of this culture.

Wikileaks is an excellent example of the virtues that the organizations
that came out of this culture had over more traditional ways of
collectively getting your act together: the flexibility, openness,
speediness, lack of dogmatism, informality of the "We believe in rough
consensus and running code"-ilk.

But at the same time, Wikileaks also demonstrates all the shortcomings
of this kind of digital, networked "Selbstorganisation", that led me to
leave this organizational model behind: its very looseness, the lack of
responsibility and accountability, its openness to charismatic or
manipulative individuals that more often than not easily took over this
kind of "virtual organisation".

Assange is but the most prominent example of a self-proclaimed
spokesperson of a ill-defined "movement" that is most of the time unable
to express itself without the help of his kind of brash motor mouth.
(That he is wanted for sexual escapades that are only punishable in
Sweden, not for treason, spying or anything like that, is quite relevant
here ...)

Wikileaks has accomplished a lot, they are no "old hat". They
embarrassed the American administration, published astonishing inside
information on North Korea, China and Nigeria, and these cables will be
ample material for historians and conspiracy theorists for decades.

But at the same time, they have screwed up in so many ways, that are
super-familiar to me from similar digital global salvation movements. An
detailed account of their shortcomings can be found at

https://p10.secure.hostingprod.com/@spyblog.org.uk/ssl/wikileak/2010/12/wikileaksch---new-website-still-no-wiki-archives-no-submissions-insecure-web-for.html

To summarize: They lost their domain www.wikileaks.org. Their current
site is not encrypted. You cannot submit new material anymore as they
are not prepared to deal with the current onslaught of technical
challenges and judicial repercussions. No SSL/TLS Digital certificate.

All this seems very familiar as the very syndromes of this kind of
ad-hoc-ism that Wikileaks promotes and practises. Most probably, many of
these problems occurred because there is no clear-cut decision making
process, the webmaster is on vacation in a place, where there is no
internet, or he had to finish his or her thesis, because the parents are
visiting or because the hard disk crashed and there was no backup. Or
because he was drunk.

How an organization that operates along those lines could become the
biggest item in investigative journalism/whistle blowing/scandal
mongering, will be reason to marvel for a very long time.

It is also an excellent opportunity to reconsider this model of
organization (or lack thereof).

I do not think, based on present evidence, that Wikileaks would have the
capabilities to continue with their operations if they would ever come
under the serious attack (not the attempted thrashing of their servers
by skript kiddies, or the withdrawal of the likes of Amazon or Paypal,
who bent their terms of service to just get rid of them).

If the Bush Junta would still be around, the Wikileaks people would have
found themselves in black sites a long time ago. At this point they are
lucky to have the Obama administration "considering the options". If
anything more serious came after them, I have my doubts if their
infrastructure and their support would last a long time...

Am 16.12.2010 23:13, schrieb Pit Schultz:

> the banality of cyberpunk, short notes on wikileaks
 <...>

--
Dr. Tilman Baumgärtel

Deutscher Akademischer Austauschdienst (German Academic Exchange Service, DAAD)
http://www.daad.de

Royal University of Phnom Penh, Department of Media and Communication
http://www.rupp.edu.kh/fssh/media/media.php

Institute of Southeast Asian Cinema Studies
http://southeastasiancinema.wordpress.com/