Desiree Miloshevic on Wed, 7 Mar 2012 20:53:57 +0100 (CET)

Re: <nettime> What do you think about .art?

Armin - thanks for helping out here and explaining I was going with my email.

Ted, it's been a while, but I hope you still have time to follow ICANN
let us know what you think of the latest ICANN gTLD process.

As I've been working on .art for some time - am interested to see if
we could mobilize artists to pledge:
a) written support
b) crowd source donations for the application fee (185,000 USD),
c) between 10-100 USD per person or any close number to that.

That would give the bid a credit, if the application is supported by
the artists themselves
and we can show the track of money pledge.

My idea is simple: since artists would be buying and registering
domain names, that money
(after the op costs) should be channelled back to the arts world.
Money should be channelled annually by regular calls for grants giving schemes,
free websites or other digital technologies that stimulate
arts and would be curated within .art space. A revenue share of up to
25% of domain name sale.
The bid should be as global as possible and the revenue should be shared
globally to artists and art organisations in needs. An idea of first
100,000 free websites is there
as well, but one needs to have a price to avoid spam.

If accepted domain would go live only in 2013/2014.

The new TLD ICANN process is very aggressive - if there are multiple
.art applicants all bids go to an auction.
If there are players who would pay up to x mil USD for .art just to
resell and auction domains, and do f* all with art.
Or it could be a single rich gallery bidding for ownership of .art.

So although the support from artists and art organisations may not cut it
(one can never win 14 evaluation points to win on a basis of it being
a pure community string bid), in my
opinion it is worth to try and do something that would channel money
back to the artists,
since ICANN would not do that.

i'll send the kick-start page, if there are any takers here, but most
interested in what people think.

Des
--

On Wed, Mar 7, 2012 at 9:05 AM, Armin Medosch <armin@easynet.co.uk> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I happened to meet Desiree last night and therefore think that her mail
> does not explain the issue as well as she did in our conversation.
>
> Our old 'friend' ICANN (Ted, we miss your comments on that;-) is
> releasing new generic Top Level Domains. It is posible that some
> business interests would grab .art to make a lot of money from already
> suffering artists.
 <...>