Newmedia on Tue, 28 Aug 2012 15:51:35 +0200 (CEST)

Re: <nettime> crowd-funding on nettime

Folks:

No *moderated* list (like nettime) that I know of allows fund-raising, for
the simple reason that there is no way for the MODERATORS to judge what is
being  done with the money.

My favorite "crowd-sourcing" story was once told by Jaron Lanier.  It
seems that his father was a reviewer of science fiction books and played poker
with a group of sci-fi authors in NYC in the 1950s.

They took up a dare to see who could come up with the best "appeal" as a
SCAM.

The first took out an ad at the bottom of the NYTimes that simply said
"Sent $5 to this P.O. Box" with nothing promised in return.  Thousands  rolled
in.

The second set out to "bronze" your baby's first "loaded diaper"  (as many
at the time were having baby shoes encased in metal), with one address  for
the money and another for the diaper.  The second address was the CPUSA
headquarters.

The third pledged to beat all of these schemes on a GRAND scale and start a
 "mail-order" religion.  His name was L. Ron Hubbard.

Mark Stahlman
Brooklyn NY