Molly Hankwitz on Mon, 17 Nov 2014 22:42:52 +0100 (CET)

Re: <nettime> Call for publication of all Snowden papers gets louder

Hi Ted,
Thanks for this long set of ideas. I guess I was naively thinking or assuming --and thinking Geert was championing, to some extent, with grateful acknowledgement of his past collaborative accomlpishments in to publishing "from the networks" so to speak ---that by publishing the leaked information that Snowden list his citizenship for, that (we) could demonstrate support for free press, against censorship, against surveillance with a re-circulation which would escape the silence, even of colleagues numbed out on Google, NSA, etc....over "response" to Snowden--

But, then, what? I wondered who I is this "we" who would be publishing and strangely, borders kicked in. To be discovered to have that book...here...in the States would be qualitatively different than to have it in Europe.

It would be symbolic. I agree with you there. His act of defiance and interest in the American public knowing is also symbolic, however, if we are not capable of bringing the matter into public discourse.

That said, I guess, one more lot of "information" being published means nothing in the long run because his work, as it were, is more important as a kind of political performance of freedom/non freedom, than it is about the information being read and judged.

Hmmm

Well

Perhaps Geert has simply provoked a thought, and we leave it there.

Molly

> On Nov 17, 2014, at 10:10 AM, "t byfield" <tbyfield@panix.com> wrote:
>
>> On 16 Nov 2014, at 12:20, Molly Hankwitz wrote:
>>
>> Go, Geert! Great thought. Also, a great and powerful demonstration of how publishing is out if bounds to censorship today!
>
> I wouldn't bet on that.
 <...>