allan siegel on Fri, 3 Apr 2015 15:48:03 +0200 (CEST)

<nettime> the end? or another beginning?

Hello,

As T say, "Nettime really is turning twenty, so this is a good time to
think about what it wants to be when it grows up. Often, describing what
we have done is a better way to start than asking what we should do."

What WE should do and what WE can do. Very pertinent questions given the
context and current global state of uncertainty/s. Why do so many people
seem to have this aversion to the word community? Yes, its loaded but
ideas like 'community' are invariably loaded. NETTIME is one of those
visible aspects of a community (as contentious as the term might be) and
its survival, or rather transformation, is linked to the web of
contributors, respondents and lurkers out there who (for whatever
reasons) feel some attachment to a community of ideas; a community of
discourse.

What prompted the origins of this discourse and how do we maintain some
continuity with those origins? Is that possible?

Communities evolve, ideas evolve, and ultimately institutions/
organisations/collectives etc. transform themselves because they adapt
and reformulate their objectives and identity as a social space.

Sorry that this is so fragmentary but I'm suffering from a kind of
proposal fatigue; Like so many others have mentioned, I think NETTIME is
a significant and special place that encourages a flow of ideas; I
peruse many blogs, news feeds, etcâ but NETTIME is unique and
invaluable...

cheers
allan