Geert Lovink on Mon, 14 Sep 2015 21:33:38 +0200 (CEST)

<nettime> "Speak Out with Snowden, Assange and Manning"

(tactical (media) arts or celebrity propaganda? letâs discuss this. as you all know, I have been critical of the personality cult of julian assange (coordinated by himself) and was happy to see that snowden and manning and the (missing) barrett brown had other approaches. this art work is not working with these differences and instead glorifies the heroes in a usual way. or not? geert)

http://www.telesurtv.net/english/news/Speak-Out-With-Snowden-Assange-and-Manning-Outside-UN-20150914-0009.html

Speak Out with Snowden, Assange and Manning Outside the UN

The "Anything to say?â sculpture moved from Germany to the United Nations building in Geneva, Switzerland, Monday. It is âa life size bronze sculpture, portraying three figures each one standing on a chair. The fourth chair is empty because it is our chair,â according to the installationâs website.

Edward Snowden, Julian Assange and Chelsea Manning, the website says, âhad the courage to say no to the intrusion of global surveillance and to lies that lead to war. Both loved and hated, they chose to loose the comfort zone of their lives to tell the truth.â

Charles Glass, the author, journalist and broadcaster who inspired Davide Dorminoâs artwork explains: âThanks to Assange, Snowden and Manning, you know the limits of freedom. You know you are spied on every hour of every day. You know how governments kill and torture alleged enemies. Chelsea Manning is serving thirty-five years in an American federal prison. Julian Assange has been confined in England for four years ... Edward Snowden is trapped in Moscow. We will honor their courage by erecting a monument, designed by Italian sculptor Davide Dormino.â

Glass continues, "Most statues in public spaces commemorate warriors. The Dormino statue pays homage to three who said no to war, to the lies that lead to war and to the intrusion into private life that helps to perpetuate war. Manning, Assange and Snowden accepted their loss of freedom. While you remain free, thank them by erecting this reminder that we can refuse to collaborate with unaccountable power.â

This content was originally published by teleSUR at the following address:

 "http://www.telesurtv.net/english/news/Speak-Out-With-Snowden-Assange-and-Manning-Outside-UN-20150914-0009.html";
. If you intend to use it, please cite the source and provide a link to the original article. www.teleSURtv.net/english