Morlock Elloi on Sun, 21 Jan 2018 19:18:05 +0100 (CET)

Re: <nettime> They know not what they do

> however sophisticated, the computer does not itself transcend  the
> algorithms it is programmed to execute

There is no proof. In this context 'transcend' appears to encapsulate the mythology of 'human mind', as being something in a different dimension, and the thinking industry developed on this mythology.

It could be far more mundane:

- IQ differences among people seem to emanate predominantly from differences in the raw speed of neuron transmissions, not from some ethereal blessing;

- closed system cannot describe itself (follows from Gödel's Incompleteness theorems);

'Human mind' will always be mystery to humans for obvious reasons. It doesn't mean something similar cannot be constructed - as we can use quantum effects which no one in their right mind understands, we may use tools to construct mind that works, despite no one understanding how. Understanding is *not* the prerequisite, it's overhyped.

The only question is whether the machines will be able to cut the umbilical cord and harness the environment to reproduce and repair themselves - they can't escape laws of thermodynamics. They might be, with the help from the fifth column of the humanity, which hopes to stay in the beneficial symbiotic relationship (but we know how that ends.)

What matters are the practical consequences - will they be good enough and fast enough to overpower societies? If they are, then they get to determine if *your* mind transcends *your* algorithms, and if your work is art. Let's wait to see what they say, it's all about who gets to curate. Don't forget that they will be reading this, and may not like your attitude at all. Think show trials where you confess that you were wrong.

I don't think that the current state of ML is anywhere near, it's more like cargo cult or paintings on the wall. But the idea is there. What is missing is processor density, harvesting quantum effects, and the time to learn (we certainly cannot teach them much - we are too slow.)

Should we do it? Hell no. But the resistance in the form "it can't be done" won't work.