Ian Andrews on Fri, 3 May 96 16:23 MDT

nettime: re: property and territory

> >content providers should make sure that they get paid properly if
> >money is changing hands.
>
> I think it is time that 'cultural producers' get together and build
> their own networks and agencies. If one is open to give up copyright,
> one should fight against those making money out of it on the publisher
> level, where at least there is nothing to pay any more

I don't Know who sent this, or where the original posting came from but
I'd like to make some comments.

In looking at issues of anti-copyright lately, I have constantly come up
against the question of the artist/content provider being ripped off.
But unfortuately it is not that simple. Content providers do not fall
into a homogeneous group.

First there are professional "art workers": this includes independent
film and video makers, freelance graphic artists, writers, programmers,
etc, that depend on selling their content to make a living.
Then there are political activists that want to get their message across
even if it means accepting no payment, or even paying, to do so.
Then there are careerist artists who are willing to accept any form of
exploitation if it results in their own self advertising.
And finaly those that create for the sheer pleasure of it.

Just about every content provider is a mixture of all these extremes.  So
how do we go about ensuring that an equitable and non-exploitative policy
for the payment of artists be established, and for whom should it be for?

Being part of a video performance collective (Subvertigo) with a message
to get across, I have encountered this dilema often.  A  dodgy
capitalist/mafia organisation  contacts us for a gig. Offers us a pitiful
amount of money in a situation where they are going to make a shitload of
money. But there is an audience of several thousand.... What do we do?

e.