t byfield on Sat, 18 Jan 97 13:29 MET

nettime: Re: Hari, Ted and a Watered-up Deleuze

At 7:01 PM -0500 on 1/17/97, EDP wrote:

<..>
> I'm intrigued by your discussion but am confused by some of the
> distinctions you make and the terms you use. Much of my befuddlement
> centers around your use of that old standby, "vulgar." <...>
 <...>
> Perhaps you were playing with idea of a hierarchy of vulgarization,
> and with the idea of a history of decline and debasement.

        That's pretty much it.
        I'm afraid that I chopped out my specific discussion of vulgarity (?),
so that reference was unnecessarily confusing. I used the term "vulgar" as
lazy shorthand for nontechnical interpretations of technical material, and
in the context of some thoughts about the virtues of these interpretations.
My point wasn't that Manuel is vulgarizing Deleuze or D&G; there are
horribly stupid readings of their work, but Manuel's *definitely* isn't one
of them.
        Hope this helps, sorry for the noise, etc.

Ted