Geert Lovink on Sun, 15 Jun 1997 22:06:30 +0200 (MET DST)

<nettime> sunday report from Amsterdam

The Protests against the Euro Summit in Amsterdam
Report from sunday, june 15, 1997

See also: www.constrast.org/guestbook/guestbook.html

   The tide is coming in, the atmosphere in the city is radically
   changing.
   The helicopter is hanging low above the city hall and the main hotels,
   streets are blue with riot police buses.
   In front of the Waag on the Nieuwmarkt 10-12 white normal policebuses
   with policemen in plain uniform an 5-6 riotpolice buses. A few hundred
   meters away, near the new Maupoleum at a side street from the Stopera
   another peleton of riot police is waiting for what's going to happen.
   On the Vijzelgracht the French consulate is being guarded by riot
   police, the Dam, same story.
   Appearantly the first guests are arriving, the financial top was due to
   start tonight.
   No more jokes are tolerated...

   eurostop
   NL - Sunday, June 15, 1997 at 21:03:57 (MET DST)

   hi,
   the first of the train has now departed from Chiasso, in the border,
   and is now directed to Milan, where we expect it will be stopped and
   the police will put everyone on another train to Rome.

   Tactical Media Crew <tactical@mail.nexus.it>
   Rome, IT - Sunday, June 15, 1997 at 20:23:47 (MET DST)

   The Sex-Riot at the Nieuwenmarkt was a massive
   disappointment. In short: no sex, no riot. Just a bunch
   of freak-haired punks sitting in circles and drinking beer.
   I saw one kiss (hetero!).
   If this was another bit of Chaos Punk misinformation,
   they will be pleased to hear that it was a success. What,
   were they off cutting a new canal under the Palace?
   I thought of getting the ball rolling DIY-style, but I
   arrived at the Markt alone. Too shy to ask anyone to dance,
   I also realized that a lone masturbating looney wasn't
   bound to raise the spirits of the crowd.

   Hank Sims <Hank_Sims@RedwoodFN.org>
   Willits, CA USA - Sunday, June 15, 1997 at 19:04:30 (MET DST)

   The Italian trains are riding through Switzerland, having crossed the
   German border at 15.00
   In Germany the police get onto the train and proceeded to a massive
   identification taking names and pictures of the people on the train.
   At 17.00 they are near Basil heading for Lugano.
   Other three comrades have been detained in Amsterdam, one of them,
   coming from Imperia, is considered officially under arrest and will be
   interviewed tomorrow by the public prosecutor.
   The arrival of the train (if there won't be more unforessen stops) is
   expected for 22.00 at the Milano Lambrate station, where will take
   place a press conference.

   infodiret(t)e <hobo@ecn.org>
   Padova, Italy - Sunday, June 15, 1997 at 18:49:55 (MET DST)

   Articles from La Stampa, La Repubblica and Corriera della Sera are now
   in the press section of Eurostop. (Sorry, grafix were not in the mail,
   URLs also not...)
   e=mc2
   NL - Sunday, June 15, 1997 at 18:26:19 (MET DST)

   This afternoon there was a Streetrave with about 5000 people for the
   legalisation of drugs through the Amsterdam citycentre. We succeeded to
   reach the town-hall, although the police tried to get us to the
   outskirts. There we danced for about half an hour until the police came
   to tell us we had to leave the place because we were blocking
   city-traffic. After some serious threats to the organisers we left the
   square to walk on. When we just left the square a large group of
   riot-police arrived in vans. They jumped out of their vans to find the
   square empty. Then they decided to block a road.With about 300
   riot-cops they managed to stop 20 Japanese tourists, 2 mothers with
   children, one man who wanted to buy sigars and others who where
   shopping. After blocking the road for half an hour they left. Another
   police-victory!

   euro stop
   USA - Sunday, June 15, 1997 at 18:19:33 (MET DST)

   The sun is shining in Amsterdam and the beer is good. The only problem
   is getting rid of all those empty bottles. The chaospunk gathering on
   the stairs in front of the Albert Heijn supermarket at the Nieuwezijds
   has found a solution to this problem. There's a group of policemen
   guarding the backside of Dam Palace, that's on the other side of the
   street. Everytime a tram (streetcar) passes, the cops and punks cannot
   look at each other for a moment. Perfect moment to throw those empty
   bottles away...

   Italian Trainnews
   time: 14.45, sunday 15-6-1997

   The first train has passed Karlsruhe, the second train is
   one hour behind them. This morning the first train was held
   at the station of Mannheim. The people were not allowed to
   get out. The train was blinded, police inside and also
   outside. And yes, the people did get some water and
   something to eat. Now the police is still in the train,
   but they seem to behave themselve in a quiet way.
   Lugano can be a problem, as it seems there are negotiations
   with the italian government. Unclear though is who is
   negotiating. As it seems, from a phonecall with the first
   train, the italian government don't want them to be
   arrested. So who wants?

      cecile <cile@xs4all.nl>
   amsterdam, USA - Sunday, June 15, 1997 at 14:53:51 (MET DST)

   Cars passing the squatters cafe Vrankrijk need to be carefull.
   Gangs of punks from anywhere are easily provocated. On Fridaynight a
   policecar or riot police bus passed every ten minutes. The barman of
   Vrankrijk went to the nearest policestation to ask them to stop this.
   It took him half an hour to find an Amsterdam cop, who would be able to
   understand the context of this request. Eventually policecars stopped
   patrolling the Spuistraat. Only one bus filled with cops from
   nowhere-land made the mistake to take this street again. They will
   remember next time...
   Saturdaynight a bunch of phantom chaos punks attacked every single car
   that passed. The streched limousine -six doors, very chique- scored
   many points with the Vrankrijk visitors, but to explain them not to aim
   at every second hand car passing was useless. We thank the police who
   closed of the street early last night.

   eurostop
   NL - Sunday, June 15, 1997 at 13:26:44 (MET DST)

   At one o'clock Sunday afternoon the train with Italians still didn't
   get any further than Mannheim Germany. The train is blinded and
   escorted by riot police, but the poor demonstrators did have food &
   drinks (non-alcoholic we presume) as radio the Vrije Keyser reported.

   eurostop
   NL - Sunday, June 15, 1997 at 13:20:59 (MET DST)

   Some more news about the Italians that were held on the train for hours
   yesterday.
   About 100-150 people were not allowed to leave the train because they
   didn't pay for their ticket or captured the train.
   Their friends and others coming from the big demonstration wanted to
   free them, but large amounts of riot police wouldn't let them..
   Various tries to reach the train on the stations were blocked of by the
   police, which kept them busy for hours late yesterday afternoon.
   They kept away people from the station in such a way that the
   demonstrators blocked the busy Prins Hendrikkade in front of the
   station. Police acted pretty violent according to reports.
   At the beginning of the evening the Italians from the train were
   handcuffed with plastic strips (the ones that get more tied as soon as
   you move.) They were shoved into public transport busses and moved to
   the Bijlmerbajes, the biggest jail of Amsterdam. As far as we know,
   they were not brought into the jail. At least one bus was held in front
   of the jail, people were not allowed out, not even to piss and only one
   can of coffee was brought in.
   Later yesterday evening the Italians were transported to Sloterdijk
   train station (outside the city) and put back on a train to Italy.
   But the story didn't end there. The train was seen on a side track in
   Maarn, near the city of Utrecht from 23.35 hrs until about 2.00. In
   Arnhem the train was stopped by the Italians themselves because they
   wanted food & drinks, according to some reports. Another version
   claims, the train had to wait until the border station in Emmerich -
   Germany was staffed again. At 6.30 the train was still in Arnhem,
   according to the ANP. Early this morning they were transferred to an
   other train.
   Since that, we lost track of them...

   eurostop
   NL - Sunday, June 15, 1997 at 12:55:01 (MET DST)

   News from Cellular Phone on the train
   The "Italian" train is stopped in the field between Utrecht and Haarlem
   before the german border

   The comrades request YOUR action

   Action Needed!!!!!!

   The arrested comrades AREN't in that train

   Tactical Media Crew <tactical@mail.nexus.it>
   Rome, It - Sunday, June 15, 1997 at 01:54:43 (MET DST)

---