John Perry Barlow on Tue, 17 Jun 1997 10:33:59 +0200 (MET DST)

Re: <nettime> Timothy Leary is Dead

At 12:32 PM -0700 6/15/97, Mark Stahlman (via RadioMail) wrote:

>Which brings me to another Tim Leary quote, this time actually from John
>Perry Barlow regarding his last visit with Tim, in which Tim was reported
>to have said (something like), "Ah, Barlow, you are the last person I
>needed to see before I die." This was reported as if it meant that after
>having seen Barlow, Tim's life was complete and he could now leave his
>fleshy vehicle behind. Of course, there is the other possibility. Tim
>might have been sarcastic and meant that the *last* thing he needed was to
>see this Global Business Network (GBN) informant in his final dying days.

For the record, what he said was , "When I leave here, Barlow, I want your face to be one of the last things I see."

He meant it as an endearment to a friend and nothing more. I thought it was one of the sweetest things anyone ever said to me.

John Perry Barlow, Cognitive Dissident
Co-Founder, Electronic Frontier Foundation

Home(stead) Page: http://www.eff.org/~barlow

MegaPhone: 800/654-4322

Barlow in Meatspace Today: San Francisco 415/431-4664

Coming soon to: Los Angeles 6/21-22, Pinedale, Wyoming...

Most people don't want to know the meaning of life. They want to experience being alive.

-- Joseph Campbell
--- # distributed via nettime-l : no commercial use without permission # is a closed moderated mailinglist for net criticism, # collaborative text filtering and cultural politics of the nets # more info: majordomo@icf.de and "info nettime" in the msg body # URL: http://www.desk.nl/~nettime/ contact: nettime-owner@icf.de