porculus on Mon, 20 Sep 1999 02:18:47 +0200 (CEST)

Re: <nettime> the last hoax

----- Message d'origine -----
De : Armin Medosch <armin@mail.easynet.co.uk>
À : <nettime-l@bbs.thing.net>
Envoyé : lundi 6 septembre 1999 15:03
Objet : <nettime> the last hoax

> friends,
>
> the email "from" Marleen Stikker was a hoax. I assume no one really
> believed it anyway, too good to be true:-) Or is there any substantian
> Microsoft trying to get into Linux distribution?
>
> Anyway, this fake-email and recent other events make me believe that the
> time of "the artful internet hoax" is over. Or what do you think?  I
wrote
> a little article about it in telepolis. Since it is in German I do not
> post it here. People reading German please go there
> http://www.heise.de/tp/deutsch/inhalt/sa/3424/1.html
>
> cheers
> armin
> p.s.: hoaxers, please try to improve your technique and writing
skills...

what curious denial i see in the midle between this 'too good to be true'
and your patronizing exhortation to hoaxers to improve their technique..or
is it in this devaluing deduction of internet hoax could be 'just' art ?
could you follow me in your strange shift of meaning ? especially if i put
at your terminus this 'time could be over ?' for what exactly ? your
induction machine works with the same full up of hoax itself : just create
the condition of an evident reality, but not for making to exist a thing,
but in erasing the proofs of an existence. you start a golem that runs and
distroys faster than you. Fiction exist as fiction : sokal affair really
began when it became a fiction : an hoax, before it wasn't, and nobody
could say that its succes was just a technical performance, but rather a
good exploitation of a context : a good idea.. se non vero se bene
trovato.
May be my reproach is out of proportion of your jeer at this microsoft
summons, may be a bit heavy idea but your reaction for me is perverse
cause your charge overtakes this simple comment : a huge part of all art,
may be a huge part of science, and philosophie are contained at a time in
an hoax strategie, and may be a so clumsy one as a play. The fiction
really exist and has big deal with grabing things, and even i believe we
are deprived of fiction : and it's absolutely not a paradoxe in an
hollywoodian time where it is less question of of fictionnal being than
god technicaly effect of reality. It is interresting here to cite the ad
nauseam picasso's wits about 'artfull' and for making attractive effect of
proof about what modern art could think about art and so boring technic :
about surch a radical critic some guys could make to contamporary art and
the lost of know how in art technic. Your will is not so harmless and are
not just about tecnical point of doctrine.
In hoax i see a part of this in marx's incredible say 'the ideas can
become material forces' cause it's firstly incredible in the month of a
sheer materialist.. In the reverse ask you this question : is so serious to
imagine microsoft as a fictionnal agent ? is it so hard to imagine for you
? and above all ask you : why ? anyway i believe a proved fiction could
exists too, and i believe of its need of huge means, specialy in including
technical ones as you said, otherwise the ridicule could simply kill it,
its name is wellknown, its name is revisionism