Case Roole on Wed, 24 Oct 2001 01:31:01 +0200 (CEST)

Re: [Nettime-nl] Oorlog is Vrede (4)

Als reactie is genocide zeker overdreven, als beschrijvend concept lijkt het
mij de lading van de huidige activiteiten van de "wereldcoalitie" te dekken.
Ik sluit mij aan bij het volgende van Chomsky (mijn verontschuldigingen voor
de rottige vraagtekentjes):

1. What’s Happening Right Now?

Starvation of 3 to 4 Million People

Well let’s start with right now. I’ll talk about the situation in
Afghanistan. I’ll just keep to uncontroversial sources like the New York
Times [crowd laughter]. According to the New York Times there are 7 to 8
million people in Afghanistan on the verge of starvation. That was true
actually before September 11th. They were surviving on international aid. On
September 16th, the Times reported, I’m quoting it, that the United States
demanded from Pakistan the elimination of truck convoys that provide much of
the food and other supplies to Afghanistan’s civilian population. As far as I
could determine there was no reaction in the United States or for that matter
in Europe. I was on national radio all over Europe the next day. There was no
reaction in the United States or in Europe to my knowledge to the demand to
impose massive starvation on millions of people. The threat of military
strikes right after September…..around that time forced the removal of
international aid workers that crippled the assistance programs. Actually, I
am quoting again from the New York Times. Refugees reaching Pakistan after
arduous journeys from AF are describing scenes of desperation and fear at
home as the threat of American led military attacks turns their long running
misery into a potential catastrophe. The country was on a lifeline and we
just cut the line. Quoting an evacuated aid worker, in the New York Times
Magazine.

The World Food Program, the UN program, which is the main one by far, were
able to resume after 3 weeks in early October, they began to resume at a
lower level, resume food shipments. They don’t have international aid workers
within, so the distribution system is hampered. That was suspended as soon as
the bombing began. They then resumed but at a lower pace while aid agencies
leveled scathing condemnations of US airdrops, condemning them as propaganda
tools which are probably doing more harm than good. That happens to be
quoting the London Financial Times but it is easy to continue. After the
first week of bombing, the New York Times reported on a back page inside a
column on something else, that by the arithmetic of the United Nations there
will soon be 7.5 million Afghans in acute need of even a loaf of bread and
there are only a few weeks left before the harsh winter will make deliveries
to many areas totally impossible, continuing to quote, but with bombs falling
the delivery rate is down to ½ of what is needed. Casual comment. Which tells
us that Western civilization is anticipating the slaughter of, well do the
arithmetic, 3-4 million people or something like that. On the same day, the
leader of Western civilization dismissed with contempt, once again, offers of
negotiation for delivery of the alleged target, Osama bin Laden, and a
request for some evidence to substantiate the demand for total capitulation.
It was dismissed. On the same day the Special Rapporteur of the UN in charge
of food pleaded with the United States to stop the bombing to try to save
millions of victims. As far as I’m aware that was unreported. That was
Monday. Yesterday the major aid agencies OXFAM and Christian Aid and others
joined in that plea. You can’t find a report in the New York Times. There was
a line in the Boston Globe, hidden in a story about another topic, Kashmir.

Silent Genocide

Well we could easily go on….but all of that….first of all indicates to us
what’s happening. Looks like what’s happening is some sort of silent
genocide. It also gives a good deal of insight into the elite culture, the
culture that we are part of. It indicates that whatever, what will happen we
don’t know, but plans are being made and programs implemented on the
assumption that they may lead to the death of several million people in the
next couple of weeks….very casually with no comment, no particular thought
about it, that’s just kind of normal, here and in a good part of Europe. Not
in the rest of the world. In fact not even in much of Europe. So if you read
the Irish press or the press in Scotland…that close, reactions are very
different. Well that’s what’s happening now. What’s happening now is very
much under our control. We can do a lot to affect what’s happening. And
that’s roughly it.

Zie:
http://www.zmag.org/GlobalWatch/chomskymit.htm

-cjr