Krystian Woznicki on 27 Oct 2000 11:22:59 -0000

[rohrpost] online filmfestival

 >> R E S a l e r t * * * O c t o b e r 2 6 , 2 0 0 0
o RESFEST 2000: New York, New York!
o RES REPORTS: New Cinema/New Media: Montreal Rocks!
o 4U2C: You Haven't Seen it All: Bjork's New Webeo
o IN PRINT: Just Like a Shadow: Home Movies From Jonas Mekas
o UPCOMING EVENTS: Shift/Ctrl; Mix Tape; LA Freewaves
o DEADLINES: Funding and Festivals
o RESFEST: 2000 Tour Dates
o RES MAGAZINE: Fall Issue Coming Soon!
o ADVERTISING OPPORTUNITIES
o SUBSCRIBE/UNSUBSCRIBE
o CONTACT US

 >> R E S F E S T 2 0 0 0
o RESFEST in New York
Opening night of RESFEST in New York found the Chelsea West Theater, near
the new RES offices in the Starrett Lehigh building, absolutely packed. The
venue, a traditional theater, is a new one for RESFEST, and while a bit more
conventional than usual, viewers seemed to at least relish the popcorn.
Stragglers off the street, hoping to see "Dr. T and the Women," were
disappointed or completely confused. "How can you show 23 movies in one
day?" one particularly baffled man kept asking.
The party afterwards was at Chaelra, where scantily clad Skyy Vodka party
hosts desperately tried to keep the huge crowd happy, pouring alcohol with
abandon. Lots of people had their cameras cranking, including Carol
Michelson, responsible for the dreamy jellyfish images in the RESFEST lobby
projections. She stopped by the office the next day to show the footage --
lovely abstract images in candlelight and strangely distorted slo-mo shots
of dancers and other party mayhem. Beauty out of chaos.
Night two was at the Tishman auditorium where DJ Qbert was once again
manning the turntables before the sold-out screening of "Wave Twisters."
Onstage afterwards for a quick Q+A were Qbert and Kid Koala. "Do you think
you guys will ever collaborate?" asked an intrepid fan. "What do you think,
Kid?" asked Qbert. Kid Koala seemed interested, and that was enough to whet
most appetites. Parties and screenings continued every night, and seen in
the crowds were the guys from MK12 and Manhattan Transfer, as well as David
Byrne.
On the Internet Cinema panel on Saturday, Jamie Levy revealed that the
finished episodes of "Cyberslacker" have been compiled to make a feature.
"We're waiting to hear from Sundance -- it will be the first Flash feature
ever," she said.
On the Future of Filmmaking panel, Fisher Stevens lamented the difficulties
of getting a feature into theaters, and noted that his new film mixes
snippets of animation with live action, a trend, we guess, for many films
which are increasingly harnessing the array of new filmmaking options.

 >> R E S R E P O R T S
o New Cinema, New Media
The International Festival of New Cinema/New Media in Montreal proved to be
as stellar as anticipated. A dazzling series of live sound and video
performances -- by Hexstatic, for example -- kept the Media Lounge busy
every night, and a solid collection of digital features, including new ones
from Agnes Varda and Arturo Ripstein, brightened the film schedule. RES was
also well received, finding Montreal a haven for cutting edge programming in
music and new media, and a home to many filmmakers exploring digital tools.
There was also a bevy of articulate critics of the digital scene, and
Montreal cinephiles are nothing if not dramatic in their opinions. On the
way to the airport, for example, driver Pablo Diconca reported that the
night before, an outraged viewer of the provocatively titled "Rape Me"
stormed into the projection booth, wrenched the reel from the projector, and
threatened to bomb the theater if the film screened again. He pedaled away
on his bike with footage spooling out behind him. "It's good that art can
still provoke," noted Diconca, who's a choreographer from Uruguay working on
several experimental dance videos using his new Canon Xl1 and Mac G4.
http://www.fcmm.com

 >> 4 U 2 C
o You Haven't Seen it All!
If you've already seen "Dancer in the Dark" but want more Bjork, check out
MTV's webeo (an interactive music video) by Floria Sigismondi featuring the
diminutive singer. In the piece, Bjork emerges through a delicate iris frame
encumbered with a glistening mask. Though you vaguely hypothesize some back
story of capture, you'll quickly be entranced with the tear bubbles that
dissolve into blooming textures and float across the screen like pixie dust.
The iris frame, periodically cut with what look like blades, elegantly
re-opens like a blossoming camera lens. The complete interactive webeo
similarly operates on a threshold between sumptuous beauty and gothic
erotics.
While this incarnation of Bjork isn't the character Selma from "Dancer in
the Dark" exactly, it is a character true to Selma. "Bjork really wanted to
retain the character's humility," explains Sigismondi. So while they were
going for an overall concept that was "stylish and modern yet humble," they
also unwittingly seized on an ideal aesthetic approach sensitive to the
memory constraints of the webeo format.
The mask sparked a few practical concerns. Sigismondi, known for her macabre
sensibility and a long list of outstanding music videos, had to figure out
how Bjork would emote without using her facial features. "We had to shoot
with a really pronounced attention to body language and nuances of softness,
like the warmth of a minute movement of the shoulder." See these subtle
nuances of softness at
http://www.mtv.com/sendme.tin?page=/mtv/tubescan/vma00/webeo/
(Karen Voss)

 >> I N P R I N T
o Just Like a Shadow
Steidl Publishers
"I just have to film. If I don't film I get sick. It's madness. I am being
pulled into it by an irresistible force." So says one of the founders of
contemporary independent film, Jonas Mekas, in a striking new collection of
frame enlargements titled "Just Like a Shadow." The book is almost all
pictures, capturing the filmmaker's captivating home movie sensibility as it
merges with the sublime. The book includes an interview with Jerome Sans
from February of this year.

 >> U P C O M I N G E V E N T S
o Some Kind of Loving: "All Night Long"
October 27, 8:00PM
Northwest Filmforum at the Little Theater
608 19th Avenue E at Mercer, Seattle
Portland underground performance artist and videomaker Miranda July returns
to Seattle with a work-in-progress excerpt from her new performance, "The
Swan Tool" with live music by DJ Zac Love. Also in town will be New York
film curator Astria Suparak, presenting selections from the latest Joanie 4
Jackie Co-Star tape, Some Kind of Loving. The fun continues on Saturday with
past video chain-letters from the Joanie 4 Jackie (formerly known as Big
Miss Moviola) lady-made movie network phenomenon, including July's own
amazing shorts, "Atlanta," "The Amateurist" and "Nest of Tens." Screenings
at 5:30, 7:30 & 9:30PM. Info: 206-675-2055
http://www.wigglyworld.org/littletheatre/index.html
o Mix Tape
November 3 - December 30
Atlanta Contemporary Art Center
535 Means Street
Atlanta, GA 30318
Mix Tape is an installation inviting viewers into a living room environment
to watch a "mixed tape" of music videos created by various artists from
skaters-turned-musicians and painters wielding Super 8 and digital cameras
to film directors immersed in music scenes. Artists include fascia,
Lakuna/Kraig Jordan, Qbert/Syd & Eric, REM/James Herbert, Scanner/D-Fuse,
and Tommy Guerrero. The music ranges from the technokenetics of Scanner to
the lush, ethereal ambiance of fascia and visually ranges from retro sci-fi
animation of Syd & Eric to the sensual mystery of James Herbert's video for
REM's "Low." Also, an exhibition of paintings, film stills, and film and
video work by James Herbert. Info: 404-688-1970.
http://www.thecontemporary.org
o Shift/Ctrl
Through December 2, 2000
Tuesday - Saturday, 12:00 - 5:00PM
Beall Center for Arts and Technology
300 Arts, Irvine, CA 92697-2775
The University of California at Irvine is hoping to become a center for
digital media, and boasts an undergraduate digital media population of more
than 600 students. To feed these kids, the university's inaugural show at
the new Beall Center for Arts and Technology is Shft/Control, a multi-media
exhibition devoted to the art of gaming, curated by Antoinette LaFarge and
Robert Nideffer. Artists include Rebecca Allen, Adrien Jenik, Mark Hurry and
more.
http://beallcenter.uci.edu/
o Archaeology of Multi-Media
November 2 - 4
Brown University, Providence, Rhode Island
It was bound to happen -- digital media is now a topic for traditional
academic film conferences. At this particular conference, theorists like
Thomas Elsaesser and Mary Ann Doane reflect on modes of identification and
"language/systems."
http://www.modcult.brown.edu/amm
o LA Freewaves
The spectacular and effusive LA Freewaves returns to Los Angeles this year
with Air Raids, a festival of film and video programmed in a multitude of
screenings, live events and television broadcasts. There are too many events
to list here, but the upcoming show titled "Altered" features several lovely
digital pieces, including "Flutter," by Emil Novak, which brings together a
discordant jazz score, nifty compositing, very effective image manipulation
and a threatening razor blade to muse on the body's physical limitations.
It's a prime example of the beautiful use of digital tools and illustrates a
burgeoning digital aesthetic. But that's just one video! There are hundreds
more. If you are in LA, check the site -- you can see new work every night
of the week!
http://www.freewaves.org

 >> C A L L S F O R E N T R I E S
o Outer Limits
Outer Limits is a collaboratively organized series of independent short
experimental, documentary, animation and independent narrative films and
videos, with an emphasis on work from far geographic and cultural reaches.
The Spring 2001 series will focus on three areas of global experience:
global tourism; individualism, eccentrics and vernacular culture; and time
and distance (with a special program of shorts under five minutes). Contact:
outerlimits@inorbit.com
http://www.videolounge.org
o The Bit Screen, a showcase for Internet shorts, is currently seeking
submissions for the Winter/Spring 2001 line-up. Send your URL, or mail your
Internet short on a CD-ROM in QuickTime or MPEG.
http://www.thebitscreen.com
o The Images Festival of Independent Film and Video
Dubbed a "polymorphous annual escapade in the exhibition of artists' film,
video and new media," the Images Festival seeks visionary, eccentric,
critical and transcendent projects for the festival in Toronto, April 12-21,
2001. Deadline: November 17, 2000. Contact: 416-971-8405.
http://www.interlog.com/~images
o Hot Docs: Canadian International Documentary Festival
The 8th edition of the International Documentary Festival in Toronto will
take place April 30-May 6, 2001. Dedicated to documentary filmmaking both in
Canada and internationally, the festival presents more than 80 films each
year, and the Documentary Forum offers a place for filmmakers to meet
potential buyers. Deadline: December 14, 2000. Contact: 416-203-2155.
http://www.hotdocs.ca
o International Short Film Festival Oberhausen
The Oberhausen festival will take place May 3-8, 2001, and is seeking short
films in the categories of fiction, animation, children's films,
documentary, dance, experimental and music video. Deadline: January 15,
2001. Contact: +49 (0)208-825-2652.
http://www.kurzfilmtage.de
o alt.SHO.com
Alt.SHO.com, a Showtime Networks venture that launched September 20, 2001 is
seeking submissions for its first Alternative Media Festival. Original
content from digital artists, animators, directors, and programmers is
sought for competition to be judged by a panel of members from the fields of
technology and entertainment based on the criteria of artistic merit and
innovative use of technology.
For further information on the rules and regulations visit
http://alt.SHO.com/content/sub_rules_reg.cfm. To enter visit
http://alt.SHO.com <http://www.alt.SHO.com. Deadline, November 15th.
------------------------------------------>> R E S F E S T : Best of
RESFEST now on sputnik7
View full-length versions of some of RESFEST's most popular films from the
past three years now on sputnik7.
Required plug-ins: RealPlayer or Windows Media Player.
http://www.sputnik7.com/vod/film/

 >> R E S F E S T
The RESFEST 2000 Tour includes dates in the following cities:
o San Francisco - Sept. 7-9, 2000
o Seattle - Sept. 14-17, 2000
o London - Sept 28-30
o Chicago - Oct. 5-7, 2000
o Montreal, Canada - Oct. 16-18, 2000
o New York - Oct. 18-22, 2000
o Los Angeles - Nov. 1-5, 2000
o Seoul, Korea - Nov. 16-19, 2000
o Tokyo, Japan - Nov. 24-26, 2000
o Osaka, Japan - Dec. 2-3, 2000

 >> A D V E R T I S E
** ADVERTISE in RES MAGAZINE / RESalert **
RES Magazine winter Ad space deadline November 1st; artwork deadline
November 15th. Inquire about special advertising offers.
RES is now offering a new 1/8 page "classified" advertising space for $500
(B&W or 4/C) to those advertisers with smaller budgets or those companies
that have a more targeted advertising plan.
All digital 1/8 ads MUST be submitted as Photoshop EPS files (300dpi, CMYK
or B/W). We cannot accept digital ads in any other format.
Vertical 1/8 ads: 1.84"W X 4.937"H Horizontal 1/8 ads: 3.75"W X 2.375"H
RESalert reaches the next generations of film- and videomakers. We offer
advertising opportunities in our email publication, throughout our Web site
and in our print magazine, RES. For more details, please contact our
Advertising Department, Sue Apfelbaum, David Latimer or John Scalise at
212-217-1154 advert@res.com.

price! Four issues of RES for $15 or eight issues for just $26.00. Plus - If
you subscribe now receive a RESFEST Sampler DVD for FREE!
http://www.res.com subinfo@resmag.com

 >> C O N T A C T U S
If you have a suggestion for our newsletter, print magazine, or Web site,
please contact us.

Editorial, Advertising and Sponsorship: RES Media Group, 601 W. 26th St.,
11th Floor, New York, NY 10001 Phone: 212-217-1154 Fax 212-937-7134 Email:
advert@res.com editor@res.com
RESalert, RES Magazine, and RESFEST Digital Film Festival and The Future of
Filmmaking are trade and service marks of RES Media Group, Inc.
Copyright(c) RES Media Group, Inc. 2000. All Rights Reserved.