Terrence J Kosick on Mon, 24 Apr 2000 19:25:20 +0200 (CEST)

[Nettime-bold] Re: [eu-gene] Artwork's value

Terrence writes;

In a consumer society where work is rewarded with utilities of pleasure or the
the return on investment runs parallel to the pleasures and rewards of viewing
or consuming art the tendencey to make some connection is just where the
industry is centered. How we can grease the weels of the interactivity of the
cultural mind is the thing to accomplish.  The interactive cycle of interest,
challenge  and rewards is user centered, the payoff is knowledge gained. The
challenges of gaming that invoke response are done for mostly entertainment. The
only knowledge gained is how to better win. The look of the game is for building
immerse entertainment and complexity. Such recreations are diversions. There are
those who go to seminars, continuing education, or night school to gain
knowledge to be able to do tasks better but also to attain knowledge or
understanding understanding. Understanding oneself for both body and mind is
another industry but closer to the user's self. The industry of culture is
mostly left to the the consumption principles of the market place or the
cultural institution where they have the cumbersome task of exhibiting of
related or mostly unrelated objects for viewing / hearing. How to get the
cultural consumer to better enjoy and learn from that experience is difficult.
It succeds as long as the intentions of the creators are met. To view, to
purchase, to enjoy, to understand to be enlightened is obvious but to be
enlightened in a most effective way is to create change and to re-create the
mind of the consumer in some novel way. One has to decide just what they are
trying to do with their work and how to deliver it. Jamming the gaming is one
thing that Edutainment is trying to accomplish without distracting the user.
Making a game of art culture would be trying to promote a social ritual or
promotion of cultural acts. For culture this can be done by promoting
instructions or by demonstrating, not just another way of looking but another
way of doing or responding and ultimately recreating the thing generated by
interaction. The demonstration of the excitement and possibilities of certain
acts of art can be synthesized in the interactive medium. It is ultimately left
to the user to carry them out by either thought responses within the interactive
cycle or beyond by deed or simply changes in daily routine. More like a work out
or cooking CD ROM. It is a goal that goes beyond the interactive cycle but there
has to be more then entertainment satiation that the user walks away with as
there is with gaming. Perhaps desktop video and every person a broadcaster is a
strong indication of just where interactivity and culture is going. How to
assist in that movement might be the thing to work on. Artists providing recipes
for culture reform may be the natural way to go for social re-creation rather
than dictates of cultural institutions. The internet is now the ideal way to
distribute such recipies.

terrence kosick
artnatural