Ade Ward on Mon, 24 Apr 2000 19:45:31 +0200 (CEST)

[Nettime-bold] Re: [eu-gene] Artwork's value

Terrence J Kosick...

> consumer society
> work is rewarded
> utilities of pleasure
> return on investment
> consuming art

You talk of consumerism and art perhaps as though this troubles you. It
troubles me. I did not mean to imply that because such work would be located
in the realm of entertainment, that it would be commercially located.

Rampant consumerism is a wealthy train to hijack, with plenty of passengers,
and the Internet is, as you say, the perfect transportation network to do
this on. Look to the Open Source model for software development inspiration.
Information should be free - can we not include knowledge and enlightenment
in that package too?

--
// Ade.