Rob Wittig on 23 Dec 2000 23:04:10 -0000

[Nettime-bold] issue 11; electronic book review

skrreeeap!

skreeeatch!

tchkp! tchkp! tchkp!

Oh, you're reading this already? Yipes!

Hang on. . .  give me . . . about 30 more seconds

before you visit the new collection of ideas

at ebr
 electronic book review 11

 http://www.altx.com/ebr/ebr11/index.html

We've just about got it all dug out . . .

Sorry to make you wait . . .

 We had ebr 11,
 called "webarts,"
 all ready to go
 and then the snow started really coming down
 here in Chicago
 and the damn hyperlinks got all iced up . . .

*whistles sharply, forming steam cloud*
Hey!
Tabbi!
*whistles*
Tabbi!  Joe! Chuck me the window-scraper, will you?

The good thing about this issue
is that there's a lot of HEAT deep inside it

YEAH, this issue's theme is  (quote) WEB ARTS (end quote)
and it casts that term wide enough
to include Jacquard looms

and

comic books

and

adhesive tape sculpture

and

global economies

and

narrative parasites

 . . . and that's the Big Story

 . . . BUT

I think the HOT STORY in this ebr
is the FRICTION
you'll find

-- between Hypertext and Cybertext in Nick Montfort's piece

 -- between Daniel Wenk and his reviewer
 (scroll to the bottom of "Telling Tales, Shaping Artists's Myths")

-- in William Gillespie's front-line account of a brutal poetry flame war
 ("Is Charles Bernstein a Political Poet?")

-- as Jan Baetens takes on Scott McCloud

-- in the subtle sumo wrestling as both Richard John and Daniel Punday
 match separately with Bernard Siegert's "Relays"

-- rippling through the single best statement I've read on the election:
 Philip Wohlstetter's "The Runoff: a Simple Electoral Reform"

*knocks snow-caked shovel against the side of ebr 11*

The only trouble with this issue is that it thawed
and then froze again last night

(my fingers are numb; I gotta get new gloves!)

phew!

ebr 11 should be ready now. Go for it!

 http://www.altx.com/ebr/ebr11/index.html

--- Rob Wittig

(Anne! Hey! Anne Burdick! Got any more of that schnapps?)

ebr11
---------------------------------------
The Runoff: A Simple Electoral Reform
by Philip Wohlstetter

ebr11 webarts
---------------------------------------
Dali's Clocks
by Stephanie Strickland

Cybertext Killed the Hypertext Star
by Nick Montfort

Unfolding Laramee
by Allison Hunter

Signmakers 1999
by Cary Wolfe

Tape for the Turn of the Year: Conversations With and About Daniel Wenk
Recorded by Joseph Tabbi.

Telling Tales: Shaping Artists' Myths
by John Brunetti

New = Old, Old = New
by Jan Baetans

ebr11 reVIEWs of general interest
---------------------------------------

False Pretenses, Parasites,and Monsters
by Tom Leclair

Feeding the Global Spider
by Linda Brigham

German TV Troubles
by Geoffrey Winthrop-Young

After the Post
by Daniel Punday

The Postal System and the Making of German Literary Culture
by Richard John

Poetry After the Great Divide
by Jan Baetens

Is Charles Bernstein a Political Poet?