Nicholas Hermann on 11 Apr 2001 15:55:47 -0000

[Nettime-bold] Re: [Genius2000Conference2000] Another Salvaggio Discussion

>>> fluxis@mediaone.net 04/11/01 03:08AM >>>
Do you think I would lose in a debate against Bosma?
I don't.

++snip
I wouldn't lose a debate against anyone in the world if the resolution
was (be it resolved) that the Genius 2000 Network, the Video First
Edition, and the Genius 2000 Network website are way better than
anything else offered by any museum in the world today.  But getting
into the debates is tres dificil.  Bosma wants you out of the debate;
she wants to label you a beast barking at Brad Brace's blood-spoor.  Of
course she won't even say a sentence about me.  She knows I won't play
nice.

Also, why is it you think Sherman and Peppermint openly rebuffed my
request for footage in the fall of '98 and have done everything possible
since to act as if my video is irrelevant?  They don't want to engage
its ideas.  It would harm their careers and filthy reputations.

Understand that Cary works for the NY Daily News making their website
look hip.  He makes $85,000, a figure that Sherman once posted to Shock
as the amount that "a good web artist can earn in the private sector
while pursuing his work in New York City."  Now why work in NYC?  To
hobnob with the rich.  Cary and I used to discuss how much the academy
sucked.  I said--this is 1996 now--that I was going to quit after my
master's and either write a book or get an MCSE (computer repairman)
degree.  I asked him if he was going to teach, and he said "no, but I
would be an art star."  I didn't know what that was, and he said "it's
when a university pays you to make art, not teach or write papers."
Then I said, in my beneficent way, "but the academy is bullshit, they
only fund punch-pourers."  Then he said, "but can sell my polaroids.  I
can't sell my sites but I can sell my polaroids to a rich guy."  He went
on to discuss the eternal need for patronage of art by the rich.  Ask
him yourself if you don't believe me.

So why live in NYC?  To work the scene.  Cary doesn't believe in
activism of the ordinary rank and file.  Rich people love that attitude.
 He loves rich people, and rich people also love that attitude.  Cary
works for a sickening organization in order to get enough money to live
and be hip in NYC, where all the rich people and their hired curators
live, work, and play.  Cary is pure rotten.

You can call it lack of apathy, but I'm very apathetic about it.  Such
criticism as this rolls off my tongue like "As We Go Up We Go Down."
Same as if you ask me if I like Bosma.  That being said, I would admire
you if you brought Bosma to justice.  I wouldn't call it lack of apathy,
necessarily.  If it bogged you down and you became an uncreative whiner,
then I would call it lack of apathy.  But I would respect your decision
to muckrake because you've reached the age of consent.

Did anyone see Malkmus and the Jicks on Letterman?  I talked to the
bassist for a few minutes about Genius 2000 and gave her a ticket.  It
was fun to see someone I'd talked to Saturday on TV Wednesday.  By
comparison, I gave Boy George an early ticket in 1998 when he came into
my bar in SF.  I didn't talk to him, I was too busy totin ice.  I saw
him on Leno or something a month ago and the feeling wasn't there.  He'd
turned back into just another celebrity keeping his nose to the
grindstone.

Max

nmherman@aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 4/10/2001 3:32:16 PM Central Daylight Time,
> fluxis@mediaone.net writes:
>
> > It will be interesting and it will be fun. What do you say?
>
> You see, another genius thing nn said was that if you make the
> mistake Bosma
> accused you and Brad of, you get a whole new world of
> grooviness--a flood in
> fact.  The best thing that could possibly happen.  A flood.  If
> you can
> physically feel the desiccation of humans, animals, and flora
> in your
> environment you know we need a flood.  I mean, can you see the
> cracked mud
> even if you're drinking a glass of cool non-bulk water.  If you
> can, then you
> know you GOT to make that butter mistake!  In Denmark, if
> someone tries to
> fuck with you when you're getting happy with some crazy
> mistakes, you say
> "laevaer"--"luh-vair."  A world full of honest mistakes is
> flawless.  I've
> rarely felt so impressed by my fellow humans, all of you.
> Thanks, and I mean
> it, keep making those fat fucking mistakes, it's groovy.  More
> more more more
> more.  More more more more more.
>
>                    Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
> [Apply now!]