Patrick Lichty on Tue, 9 Oct 2001 03:02:01 +0200 (CEST)

[Nettime-bold] (re)distributions show update

"(re)distributions: Information Appliance & PDA Art as cultural intervention"
Exhibition/Online Symposium
August 1, 2001- Jan/Feb.1, 2002
Patrick Lichty, Curator

Hello, all!
The show so far has been a great success, and I thank you all for your
support and participation.  However, as (re)distributions was designed to
be as flexible as the environment which it critiques, many changes have
occurred since the last posting in August.  Here is the rundown:

SCHEDULE CHANGES:
The show, which was supposed to be taken out of the 'dynamic stage' on
October 31, has been extended to remain open until February 1, 2002.  This
is to account for the month we lost due to the absolute lack of desire to
do anything for the month after Sept. 11th, as well as the new teamup with
the Media Cetner in the UK.  This is unusually forthcoming for us, but
these are unusual times.

New Works!
Carl DiSalvo/Hans Meyer essay will be online in October!
Nearly a half dozen new works will be on exhibition by Nov.1.  Stay Tuned!

(re)distributions linked up with the Media Centre, UK!
(re)distributions will be part of the Media Centre's medialounge exhibition
this fall, and from this, may new opportunities will be afforded to
visitors and artists alike!

ONLINE FORUM ON PDA ART
Staring in November (est. date Nov. 15), a six week threaded online forum
dedicated to the discussion of mobile artforms will discuss the future of
handheld and its cultural implications.

STILL ACCEPTING SUBMISSIONS!
Our cutoff date has been extended to roughly January 31, so we will be
accepting works for another three months.  Sorry for not communicating with
those who have submitted after the opening. See above.

Once again, thanks for everyone's support for the show, and we're far from
done!
Best, Patrick

Statement:
The Personal Digital Assistant and informational appliances like pagers, cell
phones and connected organizers have added additional layers of interaction to
the digital society.  They occupy places of intimacy and preciousness as we
embed
them upon the body.  The IA/PDA poses to create new cultural modes of
representation as these technologies create their own communities and networks
while not wholly relying on the Internet proper.  What social and cultural
impacts do these technologies pose to the individual and the larger community?
(re)distributions will seek to address the shifts in cultural practice through
showcasing works that utilize PDA OS, WAP or other wireless technologies to
make
visible critical issues (on micro- and macrocosmic levels) relating to the
coming
of the embedded self and the wireless Web.