geert lovink on Thu, 14 Feb 2002 00:49:02 +0100 (CET)

[Nettime-bold] Autonogram 10: Saints / Help / Exchange / Lab

(for those who wanna get onto this autonomedia
newsletter, please write to ben. /geert)

From: "Ben at Autonomedia" <ben@autonomedia.org>
To: <Recipient List Suppressed:>
Sent: Thursday, February 14, 2002 7:35 AM
Subject: Autonogram 10: Saints / Help / Exchange / Lab

Greetings and hello again --

Here's your irregular update about the goings-on and
grindstone-nosings here at Autonomedia HQ. It's a fairly brief list
this time, but don't take that as a sign of our slackness. We all
managed to survive the meetings of the World Economic Forum here
recently, with several of us covering events for the independent
media, participating in the various counter-summits, maintaining the
barricades with the Anarchist Kazoo Block, and so forth. We also
hosted a serialized novella about the disturbances at the WEF
meetings, which generated a fair amount of interest in the days
before the meetings opened (most notably from inside the WEF, as well
as from at least one member of the Special Investigations unit of the
Swiss government). The novella is still viewable at
http://www.autonomedia.org/davos.

Another Autonomedia-related activity related to the WEF meetings was
a net strike against the WEF web site, sponsored by the Electronic
Disturbance Theatre, in which a massive number of requests for the
WEF site may have resulted in a denial of service of the site's
server. This neatly fits into the rubric of "hacktivism", which is
also the title of a forthcoming collection edited by the Electronic
Disturbance Theatre. More on all of this can be found at
http://www.thing.net/~rdom.

And without further ado, here's your Autonogram 10.

* * * * * * * * *

"Help Yourself!" is the newest discharge in the Unbearables' series
of blasts on American culture, in which they dismantle, parody, and
otherwise mangle the literary tradition of the Self Help Book. More
than 75 individual contributors took on the topic, and in their
Unbearable tradition, demolish the myths of self help in more than 75
ways. There are far too many people and topics involved in this to
list them adequately here, but click on
http://www.autonomedia.org/helpyourself for a full table of contents,
Jim Feast's introduction to the book, and information on how to order
the thing.

Also, for more Unbearables than will fit on the head of a dull pin,
or just to find out who these Unbearables are and what's their deal
anyway, go to http://www.unbearables.org.

* * * * *

Here's another plug for the Info Exchange on our website, found at
http://slash.autonomedia.org. Recent articles have focussed on, among
other things, the World Economic Forum and its discontents, the World
Social Forum, an interview with Toni Negri on the state of empire
after 9/11, the Enron debacle, and the raisethefist.com seizure and
arrest.

Of particular note, though, are Bill Weinberg's regular World War 3
reports, subtitled a "Vigilant, Independent Sentinel of Truth in the
War on Terrorism," which is itself something of an understatement.
Weinberg, who you may know as a host of WBAI's "Moorish Orthodox
Radio Crusade" and as a co-editor of our book "Avant Gardening", has
been issuing this weekly newsletter since the bombing campaign began
in October. He casts a wide net in examining the many effects of this
war, dividing his reports into digestable individual items organized
by area of import: Afghanistan, the Middle East, the War at Home, New
York City, and "Watching the Shadows," in which his skills at
investigative journalism shine the brightest. He also has included
special reports on Enron and the WEF, in an effort to tie these
issues into the larger war culture. For the World War 3 report for
February 9, please click the link below:
http://slash.autonomedia.org/article.pl?sid=02/02/11/154211

Also, when you visit the Info Exchange, you'll notice a new "Make a
Donation" button on the left side of the page. This is something
we're trying out in an effort to offset the hosting costs for the
Info Exchange. The site has been expensive to run, and for a little
while it looked like we were going to lose our shirts on it; whereas
that situation has cooled down somewhat, it's still a little pricey
for us, and we're not too proud to get out our coffee cups and do
some spare changing. If you find the Info Exchange useful and happen
to have some spare money lying around, by all means, feel free to
send some our way! The Info Exchange is a joint project of
Autonomedia and ABC No Rio (the venerable Lower East Side community
arts center), both of which are legally charitable institutions ready
to give tax write-offs, so if you need a tax break with your
difficult-to-find radical news and dynamic gabfest, well then, please
do click the "Contribute!" button. Thanks.

* * * * *

Autonomadic props go out to Kevin Pyle, who was honored by the
Society of Illustrators with a Silver Medal for his book "Lab USA",
which came out in July 2001. If you haven't seen the book yet, look
at http://www.autonomedia.org/labusa for a sample -- it's a
terrifying, but very well-researched, visual history of abuse in the
institutionalization of humans in the United States, particularly
focussed on military and medical experimentation gone gruesome. His
artwork is fantastic, and the stories he tells are both important and
overlooked. And for a cute snapshot of Kevin and his new son Calvin,
go to http://www.societyillustrators.org/this_week/thisweek4.html

* * * * *

Calendar Sale!

Everyone knows and loves the Jubilee Saints calendar and the Sheroes
and Womyn Warriors calendar, and we still have some of the 2002
editions available for cheap. $5 per each includes domestic shipping;
go to http://www.autonomedia.org/saints or
http://www.autonomedia.org/sheroes if you want to see them.

* * * * *

Finally, if you're anywhere near New York City, do come down to the
Theatorium on Stanton Street to see the Bindlestiff Family Cirkus's
annual Winter Cabaret. The Bindlestiffs have been part of the
Autonomedia Collective for years, and tour the country twice a year
with the Autonomadic Bookmobile Roadshow. The show this season takes
a western theme, and is mouth-wateringly titled "Buckaroo
Bindlestiff's Wild West Gender Bender Jamboree." Getcher tickets now,
ladies and gennelmen, and have a look at http://www.bindlestiff.org.
They've got the best radical vaudeville show NYC has to offer. Hooray
for the cirkus!

* * * * * * * * *

That does it for this installment. As always, if receiving these
emails causes you surprise, irritation, or plain disappointment, just
send me an email and I'll have you removed from the list. On the
other hand, should they inspire feelings of encouragement, lust, or
glee, by all means let me hear about that as well! Send hosannas and
praises, coffee and treats! We love you! Hooray!

indeed, that's it.

bests,
Ben at Autonomedia
http://www.autonomedia.org